Canyon Reservoirs

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Steve Craig
JB2

Canyon Reservoirs

Post by Steve Craig »

Canyon Type Reservoirs
Buck tell us over and over again that when fishing Canyon reservoirs we are to look for the "dirt". Most of the time the dirt is few and far between, and we need to make a run and find it. AND that a "Slide" or "wash" will be the best structure situation in the entire lake.
This being my first attempt to post a video, i hope it comes out OK for your viewing.
After filming this Slide, I turned around and saw these guys about a 1000 feet up on the other side of the canyon wall.
Hope you enjoy these too!
http://youtu.be/tKjN-xzHJX8

Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
TN Dave
100 series

Re: Canyon Reservoirs

Post by TN Dave »

Steve,

Wow!!! An excellent video. Just like Jim Vaughn's drawings and articles of the Canyon Type lakes in the old "Fishing Facts" magazine. However, the color video sure does help with the understanding of how these slides occur. Good Stuff!

Makes me appreicate the "shallow" breaklines in the 30' range in this part of the world.

Those rams in the photo are in the trophy class, aren't they?

Good Fishing,

TN Dave
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Brother Dave,
Thank you for your kind words. Isnt God's creation fantastic!

These are Desert Bighorns. The guy standing on the rock is an immature ram. He only has about a 3/4 curl in those big horns. But that guy to the right is a BIG full curl ram and a shooter for sure.

You remember those great articles from Jim about Canyon Reservoirs?
They were "right on" werent they? Bach then, I never dreamed I would be fishing one!

The canyon walls are well over 500 feet high and "straight up" and also solid rock for the most part. That Slide is the ONLY one in over 7 miles of this canyon.
At the headwaters I found some more dirt in the form of an inside bar where the canyon makes a big turn, and there were 2 really nice fingers on that bar and one of them has a nice 9 foot hump on the end of it witha final break into a 30 foot hole, the deepest water in the area. Has to be the contact point, but when i was there i caught no fish.

Jim told me recently that these are his favorite lakes to fish, and i can see why! You got them all penned up on a very few structures! You just have to deal with the deeper breaklines and bad to poor water color.

I am glad the video worked.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Steve,
Good video. Brings descriptions in the "green book" to life. Thanks.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Steve,

That's the way to do it! Good stuff. Keep those videos coming.

Jim
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Brother Steve,

Yes indeed, God's creation is fantastic!

Watching the video again, I am amazed at the scale of the canyon.

Jim Vaughn's article were dead on accurate; it is just hard to imagine something like that if one has never seen/fished a real Canyon Type reservoir.

However, the color video does helps bring the old article to life. Great Spoonplugging lesson.

TN Dave