interpreting/fishing a new structure

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
joe renholds

interpreting/fishing a new structure

Post by joe renholds »

What are some procedures for systematically extending our exploration into the surrounding deep water without wandering around in the basin of the lake and wasting time ???? I assume some manner of parallel passes, markers, and line sights would be in order. What am I looking for :?:
david powell

Re: interpreting/fishing a new structure

Post by david powell »

as mr perry said you dont fish deep water you fish deep structure
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: interpreting/fishing a new structure

Post by Steve Craig »

Joe,
Excellent questions!
Go to the Spoonplugging 101 page, and scroll down and click on the "Fishing Deep" thread.
Soak up what Jerry Borst says and what Phil relates, and what spnplgr says. Study it.
This thread made all the difference in my fishing these deep clear reservoirs, and what to do when you are not catching fish.
In the book, Buck says, "that if you are straining the water down to as far as you can fish, and you are not catching fish, then you are not fishing deep enough".
You only have a couple things you can do at this point.
Go deeper ON STRUCTURE! Or
Wait for the fish to come to you.
I myself choose to learn how to go deeper ON STRUCTURE.
How you and I do that is all in the Green Book and the Home Study Course. It is all there for us to find, glean and use to our advantage.

Use your depth finder and try to find the deeper breaklines. Look for places where the deeper water swings in close to your structure, and put a jump lure down there.
B-U-T!!!!!!
Only allow yourself a certain amount of time to do this, otherwise you can waste alot of time "looking" at non-productive structure, or trying to catch dormant non-chasing fish. Many times you end up actually missing a movement elsewhere.
After you have "fished" the structure, as far as you can go, then just say that I will now spend the next 15 minutes looking deeper. If you dont find anything, or catch anything, then move on to another structure, or stay put and start the process of "fishing" the structure all over again.(waiting for the fish to come to you)

I all else fails.....go to the headwaters, and find better water color, better structures, and easier fishing(sometimes).
Hope this helps.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!