Is E 15 just around the corner?

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
indianabass
250 series

Is E 15 just around the corner?

Post by indianabass »

E 15 (petroleum refined gasoline with added corn based ethanol, up to 15%) can damage certain fuel systems in engines not designed specifically for that blend of fuel, marine engines included.

http://www.hoosieragtoday.com/wire/news ... 002722.php

Do any of you have access or run non ethanol blend gas in your boats? I am attaching a link for a site that list gas station that sell ethanol-free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

Andy
TN Dave
100 series

Re: Is E 15 just around the corner?

Post by TN Dave »

Andy,

Thanks for the post on pure-gas.org. I have used the site to locate gasoline without the ethanol.

A couple of things about the gas (1) check the pure-gas.org before heading out to buy gas, stations will stop selling the gas from time to time due to their suppliers and (2) Most Importantly, check the octane rating of the gas at the pumps.
Ethanol is a cheap way to raise octane ratings. Most stations simply buy the gas without the ethanol (rather than buying the higher octane pure gas) which results in lower octane ratings for each of the 3 gas grades.

Most outboard require at least an 87 octane rating; however, in checking some owners manual, you may find that the outboard manufacturer recommend an 89 octane rating. To be safe with the pure gas, I always buy the mid-range, 89, octane gas. Runs very well in my Honda.

TN Dave

PS: Don't forget to add the gasoline stabilizer to any and all gasoline used in an outboard motor.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I am glad someone posted something about this. I meant to and I forgot.
Last month I was getting some work done to my boat when the subject of gas came up. My boat guy said that there are MANY law suites around the country about the refiners juicing up their mixes to 15% already without telling anyone which is creating havoc in a lot of engines including boat motors.

In Minnesota there are more and more gas stations supplying Non-Oxygenated 90 Octane. Stickers on the pumps are similar to what you'd see for Farm equipment where the taxes are reduced. Anyway the non-oxygenated gas is intended for non-auto type engines.

Not all stations have this type of gas. I happen to have a couple close by and they generally are not the main gas chain type stations. Cost is the highest gas but I guess that's what we have to do.

Now what exactly are people excited about? I fully expect someone else to correct me because I have second hand information but I guess the stuff runs OK in the engines but when sitting in a tank the ethanol separates the water out and so you could find yourself with a tank full of water or a mix that can't be ignited for starting. The other issue is corrosion SOooo,
My take on it is if you can go through you tanks of gas FAST, then it shouldn't make a difference. If you're like me who fills the tank up for the winter and then sits, you could have issues.

I really hope someone more knowledgeable than me speaks up on this.
Fran Myers
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Fran,

I am far from being an ethanol expert; but this is what I have gathered by reading from the sites of the major outboard engine makers.

Most outboards can run on the E-10 gas (10% ethanol, 90% gas) without problems. All the outboard makers warn of using any gas blend higher than E-10. Damage to the engine will result.

What happens when the gas is kept in our boat's gas tanks (and not run out quickly) the ethanol which readily blends with the gasoline absorbs water. Ethanol is hydroscopic. Once the E-10 gas absorbs the water it is, as you noticed, useless. No way to separate the water from the gas.

If one uses pure gas (no ethanol) and water gets in the gas; the water is on the bottom of the tank the gas on the top. Easy to see and can be fixed.

The danger with water in outboard gas supply is that water will not compress (high school physics); thus, if an engine is run with water in the gas something in the engine has to give, usually, the head gasket; but other internal parts of the engine can be damaged or broken. Expensive repair either way.

Best bet is to find the pure gas and use a good marine formula gasoline stabilizer (Sta-Bil, the blue kind). Install a quality water separating fuel filter; and keep close watch on the gas in the outboard motor tanks.

I usually siphon the gas out of the boat (and that is not always easy on some boats) and run it through my Expedition. Then, when I do get an opportunity to go fishing, I fuel up with fresh gasoline..pure gas if I can find it.

Hope this helps,

TN Dave
Last edited by TN Dave on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Good tips Brother Dave
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!