Interesting Observations

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
beckman44
700 series

Interesting Observations

Post by beckman44 »

A few years back I got an underwater camera as a gift. I hadn't really used it much but thougt it might be a fun thing to play around with on a few contact points during the winter when the water was clearer. So this last week I rounded up my old beaver Dam tip-ups and some minnows and headed out to a spot where I set up my portable shanty on the contact point. I put one of my tip-ups in the shanty with me so I could watch the bait on the camera, and then set the other 2 on the weedline which is in about 30 ft. from the contact point. I had sat there for about an hour and a half and had not seen any thing when all of a sudden a muskie appeared and slowly swam past the minnow. It seemed to show no interest at all. About 15 minutes later I saw something moving on the screen, this time it was a walleye followed by more, a total of 12. They all paused for about 20 seconds litterly inches from my minnow before slowly moving out of sight toward the weedline. I hoped that one of my tip-ups on the weedline would go up but they never did. I sat there wondering if maybe I should have had a jiigging spoon which may have helped to triigger a strike. About 20 minutes later 4 of the fish came back slowly past my minnow to the depths. Needless to say it was a very neat experience to accually watch a movement happen. I still am a little puzzled as to why they wouldn't take the minnow. What do you guys think? Bill.
Bassdawgie

Re: Interesting Observations

Post by Bassdawgie »

Why Bill, that's an easy one! Your minnow was the WRONG COLOR! Dwight
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Depth and speed control. Your depth was probably correct, but I would imagine your speed control was "off".
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

You know after watching In-Fisherman and the new Lindner show, I am sure it's because the fish saw you or your reels. I am sure you would have caught every one of those fish had you been wearing fishouflage. Camouflage with fish on shirts, reels, and tackle boxes. That is the obvious answer.

Got to tell you that I believe Steve has it exactly right. I think if the fish are moving by and looking at your bait, the answer must be speed. Jigging spoon or something. I don't ice fish but some sort of vertical jigging bait would be an answer.

Now change your clothes - what were you thinking?
Fran Myers
Bart

Post by Bart »

Had a guy call last night at Bass Pro and wanted to know if we had a certain bait in stock. Said he just saw a show and they were killing them on it. Of course the bait was $15.99 and we had it. He told me he was on his way to pick up a couple.
fishouflage. Camouflage with fish on shirts, reels, and tackle boxes. That is the obvious answer.
......hmmm, you might be onto something Fran. There may be a market in fishouflage. At least to one idiot that I've talked too.... :lol: :lol:
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Actually guys I think 1 of them saw my face and thought I was some ugly monster and it ruined their appetite. Maybe I should make a mask with a picture of some of the better looking spoonpluggers like John Bales or Jim Duplex. This would put the fish in a positive mood, at least the female fish. It just shows how even though the fish are moving that they are not always feeding but can be made to strike if the speed is right. Bill.
charlie myers

Post by charlie myers »

I used to use my camera on Muskegon lake. With all the sunker lumber, it was easy to find fish holding spots. I was continually amazed at how many walleye and pike I could see but could not catch.
Because fish can hold so tight to the bottom that a depthfinder doesn't show them, a camera can confirm their presence. While it's basically a fun toy, the camera can have some practical purpose.
It must have been a neat experience to watch all those fish swim by.

Charlie
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bill......... Better looking? Have you fallen on your head recently? Maybe more than once? :) John