Replacing Double Hooks with Trebles

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Bob Roels Jr

Replacing Double Hooks with Trebles

Post by Bob Roels Jr »

Has anyone replaced the double hooks with trebles? There are inline by Owner Hooks and VMC so the treble hook will not be off balance. I have changed a few, but the water is too hard to test.
Bob Rives

Re: Replacing Double Hooks with Trebles

Post by Bob Rives »

Bob to Bob some of the hooks are too strong. When they hang they will not bend,you loose the sp $$ Bob.
Bob Roels Jr

Post by Bob Roels Jr »

Thank you!
GDS

Post by GDS »

Bob,
Welcome to the Forum!

Just curious, what are your reasons for switching to trebles on the front eye?

As Bob Rives mentioned getting snagged is unavoidable. You will be flipping every rock, stick and what ever else is down there. Buck made his lures with more thought than most ever have. I'd think putting a treble on the front eye would be more apt to snag, placing the hooks away from the lure more. The more I think about it, I can't remember too many fish caught on the front hook, then again, my memory ain't what it used to be!!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

When I lose a belly hook, most of the time I just go without one. Those lures go in a pile eventually to get a replacement belly hook. Years ago, I bought 20 or so of every size belly hook and that purchase has came in handy over the years. As far as losing a lure because the hooks wont bend, I havnt had that happen yet. Use heavy nylon rope and carry more than one style of plug knocker and you should not lose any spoonplugs unless for some reason, you just cant get the knocker to the lure. If you ever fished with Kenny Hyde, you would get a good lesson on how to use a plug knocker and Lake Chicamauga or how ever you spell it has some real doosies that will test your patience. Denny Coulardot made me a plug knocker this summer that has hooks on it that will penetrate an anchor rope and brings up the whole deal. I did lose two spoonplugs on this one anchor rope because the hooks would not hold the weight of the anchor that was on the end of the rope. They kept straightening out. On this particular lake, they bluegil fish the crap out of it and this fall, I got four anchors and Denny got three. All part of the ball game. Kenny should charge a fee and teach a class on how to use a plug knocker. You would save what ever fee he charges in a season. He is just that good. John
Bob Roels Jr

Post by Bob Roels Jr »

It is winter and I am bored. I have thought about the number of times I have lost a fish only to look at my plug later in the day to have a broken belly hook. In the mean time I realized the new inline trebles will line up properly on a split ring. I am going to give it a try. If the treble sticking out is a problem, I will clip it off and turn the hook around.

Until now, I have not messed with hooks on the spoonplug.

For what is worth - My Father has removed the belly hook and replaced the tail hook with a single hook to be more weedless. It is more weedless and catches fish. None of this matters unless you put it where the fish are.

The plugknocker they use in Chickamauga is great as well as Jerry Borst model. I have three from the Jamboree years ago. My wife tells me to leave every anchor I retrieve from snags to stop bringing them home and leave them at the launch.

The point on the hardness of the hooks is well taken. I have bent out all the hooks on a spoonplug using the plugknocker to get my plug back. Usually I end up wrapping the rope to the plugknocker around a cleat and end up bending and breaking hooks till I free the snag or break the hooks. I will find out if the motion of the boat will break the harder hooks when I am stuck on a tough snag.