interpreting breaks

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
kurt42

interpreting breaks

Post by kurt42 »

my question is that i am reading the green book and buck talks of interpreting the breaks on a breakline, how does one know what exactly is down there? i can tell when i am hitting rocks but i see on some of the drawings the details of stumps,rocks,fingers, and bushes. i am just trying to get better at mapping and getting more consistent. i do also have one more question, right now i know i am limiting myself by fishing with a boat that has a steering wheel, my question is i have priced a tiller conversion kit for my motor which is a mercury 50hp, my boat is only 15 ft but it is a v-shaped run-about, should i save for the tiller or should i save and go to a more fishing type boat. all responses and input would be appreciated. thanks kurt
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: interpreting breaks

Post by Fran Myers »

Kurt,
Your lure banging on the different stuff tells you what the things are. The more times you hit it from a number of different angles the more you learn about it.

As to the modification of the boat...
Personally I think if you modify a boat to do something other than what it's designed for you will be disappointed. If you can make it work buy a Lowe Big Jon Boat with a 9.8hp motor. You will be more happy. Sell your existing boat. If you modify it you could be stuck with it. But if you are skilled it may be just the correct tool for the job.
Fran Myers
david powell

Post by david powell »

KURT I KNOW SOME PEOPLE WANT TO SAY THET CAN TELL IF ITS ROCKS OR WOOD OR SOMETHING ELSE. IF YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHORE CHECK AND SEE WHATS ON SHORE,GOOD CHANCE IT WILL BE WHAT YOU ARE FEELING.BUT I WILL SAY WITH MORE TIME ON THE WATER YOU WILL GET A BETTER FEEL. THAT BEING SAID TO ME IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHAT IT IS . ALL THAT MATTERS IS IT PRODUCING FISH, ROCK, WOOD, OLE DEAD BODY WHATEVER,IF IT DOESN'T PRODUCE FISH IT ISN'T ANY GOOD! AS FOR YOUR BOAT, IF YOU ARE HANDY ENOUGH YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE A GOOD SPOONPLUGGING BOAT OUT OF IT. ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THAT.
DAVID
GDS

Post by GDS »

Kurt,

Welcome to the Forum, this is THE place to get all your questions answered! Reading the Green Book the first time, things may not click until later. There is a lot in there to remember, keep reading, studying and asking questions here!

Breaks on the breakline, many times you will hang up on them too. Franand David covered that.

Your "Spoonplugging Boat", depends on your budget and how your existing boat is laid out. If it is a "Bass Boat" with platform in the rear, you probably have your work cut out for you. If it is fairly open and you can take the steering console out you have a better chance of making it a Spoonplugging boat.

In my opinion, drivers seat comfort is number one. The seat should be off center, toward the starboard side of the boat. This makes the tiller handle MUCH more comfortable to use. You really need to have the tiller put on and then position the seat accordingly. Rod storage and live wells are nice, but not necessary. I like a real open boat that I can move around in easily for anchoring or casting.

Fran-Nice to see you survived Tennessee! Forecast is 100 degrees for Friday and Saturday!
Bart

Post by Bart »

David is exactly right. It doesn't matter what it is as long as the structure produces. Mr. Perry use to say "It doesn't matter why a fish does what he does, just be concerned that he does it".
kurt42

Post by kurt42 »

thanks for the replies and info, i guess the more time on the water will give me a better experience, as far as the boat goes i think i will take frans advice and follow the guidelines as buck put in, i will start saving for my future fishing rig and just accept the fact that my fishing this year will be limited by what i have, thanks again for all of your time, kurt
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

kurt42 wrote:thanks for the replies and info, i guess the more time on the water will give me a better experience, as far as the boat goes i think i will take frans advice and follow the guidelines as buck put in, i will start saving for my future fishing rig and just accept the fact that my fishing this year will be limited by what i have, thanks again for all of your time, kurt
Kurt,
I don't know what your financial situation is but finding a jon boat (and be careful they're not all the same) and putting a small motor on it isn't that expensive. Plus you really do yourself a much better service by having a light, maneuverable boat. I would be much better off skill wise if I had bought one first.

I am a big guy and was VERY reluctant to get the Lowe boat. I was extremely happy and depending on your circumstances you may get off pretty easy. Look at Cabelas or BassPro. I got the best price at Cabelas in my area.

Good luck
Fran Myers