rod blanks

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
derdly
200 series

rod blanks

Post by derdly »

I want to fill some of my spare time making saltwater trolling rods. I like the solid fiber glass rod blanks but, I am open to any suggestions. I recently trolled offshore with some graphite trolling rods they were just as receptive as fiber glass but, about 6ft long very stout and had good torque power much more for craking fish out of heavy current.

Please give me ideas I want to make two Both for Wire.

Also rolling guides vs. wire resistant guides pros and cons?

Thanks,

Dave
GDS

Re: rod blanks

Post by GDS »

Dave,

Absolutely NO salt water experience here. There are some cheap I guess you call them "Catfish" rods that are solid fiberglass that you could either cut down and strip or use as is.

Was wondering about your "Wire" decision. Have you used any Braid.
This is my first full year of using Braid and I would rather grab a "Braid" rod than a "Wire" rod. Not that I have ever had any problems using wire, it's just that braid is more.....forgiving. I have been able to get pretty close to usual wire depths too, it just takes more line length.

Spoonpluggers need to have there rod box ready for any situation. No-Bo, Braid and Wire. Each has there special place and need.
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

the rod blanks are a good idea for the cat rods....

As far as braid I use it when it is called for, in this fishing situation I have heavy current changes. Braid doesn't not get down there. I have a narrow spool now but it took me tremedous amounts of line and an 800 to get down to 32 ft. To reach the basebreak line at 42 ft I had to go big lure and 26 layers.

I dont know the speed of the currents but the tide changes avg. of 6ft every 6 hours.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Hi David, Sounds like you are having some fun out there. Be carefull, you might not want to come back home. By the way, you are a good jig fisherman. Did I tell you that the last time that we fished? Dont get a swelled head, I can still put it on you any time I want:).......... John
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

John 50 straight days of 90 degrees or above today is number 51! What do you think about all that?

Ive been verticle jigging some for these fish down here but speed is too slow most of the time, or not slow enough. Seems like when they are extrememly inactive the fish want it dead slow live bait. Any when they are active 3/4 throttle with current, I have not found a happy medium. Only one day did I manage to catch some Speckled sea trout on your buddies they were not big enough to get good pictures.

I still have some serious learning to do Cant wait to start getting into the bigger schools of reds, to catch big flounder/speckled sea trout I think it will all come together as we enter fall.
SlParker

Post by SlParker »

David, I purchased some rod blanks from Scott in Hickory, contact him via the web site as he has a medium and heavy blank to offer. I believe that Scott will also make you some rods if you let him know what kind of handle you want. I had some customer rods make by a guy in Georgia which had the hump in the cork handle and I can troll all day with these rods no problem. I will have them at the Hickory outing this year so look me up and I will show them to you, also I may have an empty seat in the front of my boat this year if you need a ride.....

Steve - Mid Altantic Spoonpluggers...... We go deep.....
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

Great thanks, I def. want to check those rods out. If everything works out like I want I will be bringing a boat up. I plan on calling Jeri up soon to find out about camping near by.

I look forward to meeting you.

Dave