Wire Line....

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Wire Line....

Post by Jim Shell »

A question on using wire line....
I have 15# single strand and 30# single strand. We use wire to get the lures deeper. What lb line will get my lures deeper?
The 15# has less resistance and less weight; the 30# has more resistance and more weight. So.... Is it the weight (30#) that will get me deeper, or less resistance (15#) that will go deeper? I've used both, I think I know the answer but want to get your thoughts.....
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
derdly
200 series

Re: Wire Line....

Post by derdly »

The easiest way to tell is run a 100 on 9 layers of 15 lb wire and 9 layers of 30 lb wire start in 25 ft of water and slowly move up along the breaklines till one starts bumping.
Repeat if needed to determine which line gets er down there quickest

If the outside line is 30lb and it hits at 22ft and the inside line doesn't hit til 18ft then you have your results

I just saw this guy using stranded wire for live bait trolling in the ocean i think maybe 3 strands? It didn't kink I think it was 150lb test not sure but, looks great for using as a leader only!

Hope this helps.

Dave
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

The real question here is what will get the extra depth? The weight of the wire (30#) or less resistance (15#)?
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
Bart

Post by Bart »

Jim,

My guess would be both.
frankyav
400 series

Post by frankyav »

I look at it the same as #12 nobo vs #20 nobo with the thinner diameter #12 achieving more depth with less line due to less water resistence.

I have been using one pole set up with #17 wire and another one with #20 wire recently, and have been running + 1/2 layer to a full layer on the #20 to compensate for thicker wire and it seems to work fine.

Frank
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Jim,
I'd go for the smaller diameter. Bob R. and I have fished together several times using braid. Bob uses 30# and I use 20#. We found that the 30# required 2 to 4 more layers than the 20# to reach the same depth using the same size spoonplug; 2 layers with a 200 and 4 layers by the time we got to a 700.
charlie myers

Post by charlie myers »

Another issue is breaking strength. I ran 17 lb wire for years, and would lose 3-5 lures annually due to kinks. The kinks generally occurred when I was trying to clear weeds while the spoonplug was on the surface, and it would skitter across the water.
I went to 20 lb wire last year. Yes, you need to run more line to get the same depth. However, I didn't break off a lure and was still fishing the same weedy lake.
I would say all the answers have been correct so far. It really depends on the type of lakes you fish. Weedy, snag filled waters? Heavier wire without question.

Charlie
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Jim,

I agree with Charlie. I switched to the 20# Stainless Steel [Buck's Baits] wire several years ago. Found the 20# eaiser to handle with fewer kinks and fewer lost lures. One still has to use reasonable care in handling wire line regardless of line size.

Refer to Buck's instructions for wire line use and note the recommendation about letting the wire line/lure sink to the desired depths. I have been guilty of getting in to big of a hurry and not letting the wire line/lure sink; some time stopping the boat is necessary to allow the sinking to be complete.

Another wire line that can be used is Monel which is more dense than stainless steel; thus sinks better. Can be hard to find and is (usually) a bit larger in diameter. However, Monel is smaller in diameter than a leadcore type line.

TN Dave
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Hello Jim!

I do believe the heavier pound test would sink faster, allowing the need for less line to run the lures on a WALK. The ability to walk the lure is the key. If you are able to immediately walk, short line lengths will be required to present the lures. If you are forced to run free, then additional line will be required and I believe the thinner diameter should be the choice. We also need to consider that the lure weights have changed over the years and lures acquired today maintain less weight as compared to the earlier made lures. My preference would be the heavier line in a walking situation and a lighter line for muck bottomed lakes limiting the presentation directly on the bottom.
Phil
SlParker

Post by SlParker »

Jim, from a guy who fishes alot of highland type lakes here in the western part of Virginia where water clarity is 5 to 10 feet getting deep is a priority. I used to have fear of extra long lines, 24-30 layers of line regardless of type but to get to some depths I just have to keep letting out line until my lure reaches the bottom. Longer lines means more attention to details on your trolling passes but you can get your lures down. Give it a try and let me know....
Steve