Trolling rods

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
jim olson

Trolling rods

Post by jim olson »

Is there any way to tell if I have the heavy action or regular action rod. Does the green or red markings signify one or the other. I have both, and can't really tell any difference. Also, is the long handled model nicer for trolling or more comfortable. Any pro's or con's on the long handle versus the standard handle. Thanks anyone. :) Jim.
Bill Patterson

Heavy rod

Post by Bill Patterson »

Jim, I have one heavy rod from Buck's Baits. This is one of the old style with cork handle. The reel seat says "Champion" and was from a CA company. I don't think they are still in business. Anyhow, Scott uses different components these days from what I'm talking about. I looked over "Buck Talks Tools" tape last night & the 2 rods were mentioned. The heavy rod is thicker (mine is also 2" longer) and the action of the taper is linear. He said the regular rod started out with a taper, then leveled out in the center...then the taper continued on out to the tip. In bending my "regular" rod, from the tip to 2 guides down does most of the bending. On the "Heavy" action, the bend is from the tip to 1 1/2 guides down. Also, the heavy rod is nearly 1/8 inch thicker when measured just ahead of the 1st wraps nearest the handle. I don't know about the red/green dots. My heavy rod happened to be wrapped with red thread.
I have one rod with the long handle. It is by far my favorite and the one I always use in my hand. I can rest the longer handle on my forearm and this greatly reduces wear and tear on the wrist and hand! I like this longer handle on casting rods also. On a larger fish, be sure to use a rod that will allow you keep elbows at your side. (If we should be so lucky). Reaching way out is a strain on arms, back and shoulders. Hope this helps.
Garry Boggs

Roller Guides

Post by Garry Boggs »

John,

I remember you posting that you put a roller guide on your wife's rod and now she likes it better when fishing wire. Are there any negatives with a roller guide? Is this something we should all be doing when using wire?

Thanks