Deep Water Sanctuary - Home of the Baitfish?

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Bryan-AZ

Deep Water Sanctuary - Home of the Baitfish?

Post by Bryan-AZ »

What do the bass do when they are not on a structure and decide to move to deep water in the channel? Well, it looks like they aren't always dormant. :mrgreen:

This first picture shows a downscan of a nice reef/bar type of structure goes all the way to the main channel at 55ft. This is a wide channel with a muddy bottom.

The threadfin shad are so thick in the bottom of the channel that they almost look like rock clumps on the downscan. I circled the area in red to give you an idea of the approximate area I was floating when I took the attached video. Basically, dead center of the channel with 100+ feet from the structure.

(the waypoint I set on the group of fish is most likely a stack of Yellow Bass)
Channel-Bass1.jpg
Channel-Bass1.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
This downscan image is from when I was sitting still in the middle of the channel. The layer of threadfin shad takes up most of the 50-55ft range. Just above them were the bass swooping through these clouds of shad in the middle of the channel... you can see them as streaks.
Channel-Bass2.jpg
Channel-Bass2.jpg (163.83 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
This video should put the above images in perspective. I started the video when the camera is inside the cloud of shad at 50ft. Then, I moved the camera a few feet above to see what was tormenting the shad...

Click here for the video...
Channel-SchoolingBass.wmv
(5.13 MiB) Downloaded 271 times