PAST seminar questions

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
joe renholds

PAST seminar questions

Post by joe renholds »

I have a roadbed structure that runs for 3/4 of a mile before dumping into the main river channel. The final break into the channel starts at 29 ft and falls to 37 ft. The increase of depth is consistent enough not to allow for proper trolling without changing lures all too frequently.

How should I approach fishing this feature to maximize my effectiveness in dealing with such a long feature???????
brett
100 series

Re: PAST seminar questions

Post by brett »

Joe,

Based on the details you gave and looking for efficiency I would map the structure without lures to start. I would look for breaks and breaklines in the road and for structure situations that intersects the road. I would then fish all areas of interest under a few different conditions and possibly explore more of the road over time if I found fish. Or I might just fish the whole thing to check it out and not worry about being efficient!

One of the great things about approaching fishing situations with Spoonplugging guidelines is that you already have system for being efficient. Large areas of water will quickly shrink down to small productive areas. Over time you will find that a structure like this can be learned very quickly and you will know more about it that most anyone because that is what the guidelines offer. Spend a half day and work it over. You will find your answers.

Keep asking questions Joe - and fish as much as you can.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Use a bottom bouncer. Easy to just let out more line to keep contact with the bottom until you find the fish. Once you find them use whatever tools needed to obtain the correct depth & speed.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Yeah, or just what Bink said. lol
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Joe, How far does the road go from the drop off before reaching a depth of 10-12 feet? The fish will not go 1/4 mile on their movements. Need to know more. John
r.david powell

Post by r.david powell »

Your road bed sounds as it could be a productive structure. Drops at good depth and the channel being 37 should be enough depth.I don't know where John gets his 1/4 mile,but daily migrations won't be a great distance.But the seasonal migrations could be a few miles .So I don't think it reaching 8-10' in less than a 1/4 mile is such a big issue.Esspecially in a flatland res.Also this at the drop needs to be checked by casting as well as trolling each time you test it.Also does it go down hill anywhere along its length before reaching 8-10'.Besides once the fish have spawned and moved out to the main channel they are not likely to migrate far from the drop off till a seasonal change.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I did say 1/4 mile and he said 3/4 of a mile. My mistake. This is what happens after a hard days work and a large glass of whiskey on ice. I wonder if the guy has even fished this place. Well.......... Have you? Have you given it an effort. What have you done so far as to ask these questions? Can you draw it for us so we can give you an answer? Draw us a map and maybe some of the guys can help you figure this out. John Night night
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Haha good call John
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish