new lakes/humps

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
brett
100 series

new lakes/humps

Post by brett »

I haven't been able to get on the water much recently but Friday, June 8th, was an exception. I was more anxious than normal because I was fishing a new lake I knew nothing about (except what I could find on the internet). A new lake means extra effort, but I love them because as the structures reveal themselves I get the same feeling I did as a kid when I got to a new level in a video game. It's a new challenge and you never know what lies ahead. In this game, a bone jarring strike can come at any minute.

When I get on a new lake I try reminding myself of all the lessons from my teachers - I want minimize the dumb mistakes I'll make. "Don't skip the first 3 lures;" "Only by trolling the shallows will the structures properly reveal themselves" come to mind on this day so I put on a 400 and contour the 4-5 ft weedline. The game has begun, what level will I get to today?

I find small changes in the contours. I catch a small northern on one and continue on my adventure after a few more passes yield nothing. I move out to the 6.5 foot breakline with a 250 and continue. Half way around I find something of interest - a very sharp, pronounced bar. Okay, let's get to work. Yet the bar's very defining features are noticeable only to 7/8 feet. The next breakline, the drop off - at 10 feet (not far away) - has a only a subtle curve along an otherwise straight path. The features of the shallow bar are hidden, secretly placed only for those with proper guidelines. I am going to fish the 10ft breakline for fun. The 100 goes in the water and is bumping at 10 feet. I pass the subtle change in the breakline where my sightlines tell me a sharp shallow bar exists. Suddenly the rod doubles over. I lose a nice fish. A few choice words and it's time for another pass. Next pass, whammo, a good northern in the boat. A third pass and low and behold, another one.

Lesson learned: I arrived at the tail end of a movement to catch good northern in an area where the drop off features are not otherwise noteworthy. I arrived there because of the first 3 lures. I may have fished this lake 10 more times without ever realizing this spot was productive. Think about it next time you drop in on a new lake.

Later in the day I arrived at the largest and most obvious point in the lake - a sore thumb on the Navionics and Lakemaster maps. There have been fisherman nearby all day. The chip on my depth finder must have this spot down to a tee. The end of this point is sharp. As I begin my trek down the right side of this long bar my teacher's lessons seep in, "straight line passes!" I hear in my head. The pictures in the green book of all the arrows next come to mind. Of course, I think to myself, "Do I try and contour troll the end of this point and go around and down the back side and continue on?.....or do I behave?" I'm well behaved today, so I continue straight off the end of the bar into deep water. I plan to hit this bar with 8 or more straight line passes and catch a fish. As I come off the end of the bar the graph reads 9ft, 10ft, 14ft, 15ft, 15ft, 16ft, 13ft, 11ft, 10ft, 14ft, 23ft, 28ft, etc. I look at the map on my graph - it shows only deep water, there is not supposed to be anything out here according to them! I pause...I smile...things just got interesting. Another hidden gem in our video game? I drop another layer of line and circle back for a kill. The graph comes up from deep water, 16ft, 14ft, 11ft, 10ft. Wham! A solid strike just before the lure hits the crown. A 20 inch post spawn bass in the boat and more lessons solidified in my head. Facts are facts, spoonplugging knowledge is the key to success.

Lesson learned: The obvious one, straight line passes. Let's add to it: many times humps are related to the end of a point. Remember they may be there. They are missed by 95% of the fisherman that will ever fish that lake. The ones I've found often result in a high score.
1.jpg
1.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Last edited by brett on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwt
800 series

Re: new lakes/humps

Post by jwt »

Brett,
Nice report, nice fish.
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Brett; You are one of the best examples of what it takes to become a great spoonplugger. You have the discipline and strong desire to stick with it and get better each trip. Your report is helping to pull me out of a funk I have been stuck in this year due to some tough family issues. I have only been fishing once this year due to this. Keep up the good work and you will become one of the best. Bill.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

LOL!
Very good report and story. Love to hear the stories whether success or failures.
Actually there are no failures as we learn even more sometimes on the bad trips.
Good job and keep it up.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Bill,

Time on the water, whether by ourselves or with friends, recharges us and helps in coping with our daily struggles. You deserve it - get out there. And think about coming to the Kentucky outing.