Need Help With My Motor

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Duplex

Need Help With My Motor

Post by Duplex »

Spoonpluggers,

I've got a 2000 Honda 30hp outboard that needs the impeller replaced. The impeller will cost me $15 and another $$$$$ to have it installed. Does anybody have the Honda manual that details replacing the impeller? I'm pretty handy but don't want to go into this project blind. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks,

Jim
Bink
800 series

Re: Need Help With My Motor

Post by Bink »

How well do you speak spanish? just a quick google search and i found this Im sure you can find a better video somewhere on the net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11VoYzxaC9Q

http://sites.google.com/site/bf50impellernotes/
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
GDS

Post by GDS »

Jim,

I have a manuel from a 50 HP Honda that TN Dave was kind enough to give me when I got my boat.
Let me see if it showed other years too. I can send it to you. Will let you know when I get home tonight.

From my limited experience changing impellers, you need to grow a third or fourth arm! Would come in handy
steering, holding the rod and downing banana's!
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

GDS,

Thanks for the offer but Bink's suggestion did the trick. There are a number of videos on YouTube that show the process and I was able to change the water pump and impeller at the same time. Most outboard engines have the same set up and the same procedures for the repair. It's a pretty simple job and your only concerns is the shift lever. There are four bolts that hold the lower unit on; two shift lever bolts; 4 bolts on the water pump to expose the impeller. No need to drain the lower unit. This was the best link, http://sites.google.com/site/bf50impellernotes/, because you can access the parts for your individual motor and see how they fit together.

Jim
GDS

Post by GDS »

Hey Jim, no problem. I made a copy of that too, since it is my motor exactly. It's one of those things that is easy once you do it, but a couple of years from now when you do it again, you'll have to read the directions again! Glad you got here ready to go make more video!
Bassdawgie

Post by Bassdawgie »

I did my 20 hp, no problem..I put some Duplex Lube (smooshed up bananas) on the impeller to avoid dry running.. :lol:
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

:lol: Duplex Lube!! LMAO! :razz: Come on NOW!!!!
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.
Duplex

Post by Duplex »

Marty,

Don't laugh. It works!

Jim
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

Have U Applied for Patent Yet?!! :razz: How about Marketing?! Packaging?! I can see the shelf now, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Duplex Lube, Valvoline... Or am I in the wrong dept... K-Y... etc...LMAO! :lol:
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.