Utilizing your skills

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
WhopperStopper

Utilizing your skills

Post by WhopperStopper »

I have been looking at some nice sonar/gps units with navionics capabilities, however like for many others I dont have the funds on hand to purchase bells and whistles at the present time. My good spoonplugging friend Bart told me a while back that you could get Navionics for the entire u.s uploaded to an Iphone for $9.99 and that he had a handheld basic gps that he no longer needed because of his iphone, so he graciously gave it to me. You can purchase a basic handheld gps for around $100.00 dollars or so. It just so happens that my wife has and iphone, however I do not. Anyway, being the gps nut that I am, I to got thinking about a cost effective way to find and log down info to my lake map that would allow me to use what tools were available to me, so hear is what I did. I got my regular ole lake map out along with the iphone navionics contour lake uploads. I would scan sections of the lake, say, an entire creek arm. As I found what looked to be a possible stucture situation I would jot down the coordinates for that particular spot on a piece of notebook paper and then assign it a number. For example, the Lake is High Rock lake, and the creek arm is Abotts Creek. This was the first spot that looked like a structure situation to check out, so on my paper I made a code which would be HR/AC #1. The next one will be HR/AC #2 and so on. THEN, on my physical map those places are numbered for a quick reference as simply 1 2 3 etc. So when on the lake, I have my physical map to SEE for a quick structure reference, then on my note book paper is coordinates for that NUMBER. Also instead of righting all of this on paper, one could simply SAVE these into the handheld provided it would have enough memory. I just like having things on paper JUST IN CASE lets say you dropped the gps over the boat accidently. That way you still have hard earned backup data. Anyway hope maybe this helps others that are a little tight on cash. So for around $110.00 you can make it work for you, opposed to spending$600.00 and up. Hope this gives some ideas. For now, it works for me!

W/S
jwt
800 series

Re: Utilizing your skills

Post by jwt »

Thanks W/S. You've earned two of them and an order of frys for that info. :)
WhopperStopper

Re: Utilizing your skills

Post by WhopperStopper »

Make that a Large order of McDonald fries please! Thanks

W/S