boat dealer rant...

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

boat dealer rant...

Post by Fran Myers »

I hope Jim's boat gets done soon. Mike and I would have gone to look at it but due to construction we couldn't access the boat. I also believe there boat people couldn't access it either. I suspect it'll be done this week.

I looked at the Triumph at the the Boat show. Very tough boat. They were smacking it with baseball bats. For being so narrow there is a lot of room in it. There are some things missing I like but it's still a really nice boat and I'm sure Jim will love it.

I suspect we'll be reading performance reports this weekend from the engine break in process.
Fran Myers
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Re: boat dealer rant...

Post by Jim Shell »

I need to vent....

Dropped off boat over 3 weeks ago for a new 60hp Evinrude.
Was told they have plenty in stock at the warehouse, no problem.
Called a week later, they said they have the motor but were in the middle of a big project, may need another week.
Called back a few days later, and was informed they are waiting for the tiller kit to come in. What? I found out they were going to use a remote model they had in stock at another store and add a tiller kit.. (starting to not feel good about this now) :evil:
They sent me the finance papers to sign today, when I discovered they are trying to sell me a left over 2011 model. :twisted:

Time to find another Evinrude dealer now....
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I hate Boat dealers. Right now everything is ok. When I started buying my first boat 8 years ago the dealer wanted to sell me what they had. I wanted Honda, they only sold mercury. None of the Honda dealers sold that boat...

Well after the fact I found the eagle trailer for my boat was two years older than the boat. First long trip, blew a bearing. Now my eagle trailer has broken welds. Never again.

Jim I feel for you because youve been on this process for a year. I was hoping to hear the shear pleasure of the setup, breaking, and first trip. This should be fun.

So far I'm having fun...I would not settle for less than you expect and not what they want to provide. Hold your ground and ask yourself why would they have leftover motors? I would not do two stroke. Look at that 70 Yamaha.

Stay strong, get what you want. At these price levels - you shouldn't be the one to compromise.
Fran Myers
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Good advice for all of us.

Seems there is something about trying to buy a tiller handle outboard that brings out the worst in dealers. Takes some searching to find a dealer that knows how to properly install a tiller handle. Most of the time it is just simple plug in.

Wish you well, Jim Keep us posted.

TN Dave
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Jim Shell wrote:I need to vent....

Dropped off boat over 3 weeks ago for a new 60hp Evinrude.
Was told they have plenty in stock at the warehouse, no problem.
Called a week later, they said they have the motor but were in the middle of a big project, may need another week.
Called back a few days later, and was informed they are waiting for the tiller kit to come in. What? I found out they were going to use a remote model they had in stock at another store and add a tiller kit.. (starting to not feel good about this now) :evil:
They sent me the finance papers to sign today, when I discovered they are trying to sell me a left over 2011 model. :twisted:

Time to find another Evinrude dealer now....
So Jim, what were you able to get straightened out?
Fran Myers
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

Since I was back to where I was a month ago, I rethought the whole thing, and decided to stay with the original plan, a 60HP E-TEC. I made a deal with another dealer about an hour away. Bottom line, I'm getting a slightly better deal, but will take another 2 weeks. I'm really looking forward to see how the E-tec will handle preform and handle on the troll.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

You know an 2011 may have been a better deal just because it was available sooner. the problem is the full disclosure issue. I am sure I would have been alright knowing that my Eagle trailer was new but 2 years old, but no one said anything. If I had know about the age I could have avoided so many issues because I would have said repack the bearings and grease everything up.

But they didn't and I had a bearing failure on my first trip to Lake Erie. Not to mention the financial Shenanigans, getting full price for a previous year model.

The water is open and the weather is warm you are getting desperate. But try to remember that this time last year all but you PowerPlant lakes were frozen and we had ten foot snow piles next to the driveway. We are in an unusual situation weather wise so relax, try to enjoy the process. This should be fun.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Jim
I think you will be much better off with the Etec then the yahami. A buddy of mine has a 50hp yammie and it's a pain in the ass to maintain. I will be upgrading to a Etec in the near future.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I have had a 60hp Yamaha for the past 5 years, mike has had a 50hp Yamaha for 6 and neither of us have ever had any problems. I suppose all companies have their stories - I'd never buy a Mercury. I've heard some questionable things about Etec.

Personally Yamaha or Honda are my choices.
Fran Myers
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

In doing research that I started a year ago, you'll find lovers and haters for EVERY outboard. It can drive you crazy trying to make up your mind. I've heard a few people says this, including John Bales (and I agree too) technology has changed soo much (for the better) that any outboard you buy today is good. My first outboard was a 1967 18hp Evinrude, then I bought a 1959 5.5hp Evinrude for a backup and for smaller lakes. Those old motors ran great! Then a 1994 15hp Johnson, 1998 25hp Johnson, then a 2004 40hp Honda... They all ran great. I'm sure I'd be happy with any one of the new outboards.. just comes down to personal preference. I decided on the E-tec for several reasons: US made, reliability, low maintenance, and hell...they look good too! and price was great. $7300 for a 60hp, Honda was my second choice, but that was almost another 3k more than the E-tec. Unfortunately it will probably be 2 more weeks before I get it on the water.
In the meantime, I'm stuck watching video's of "Da Man" and his banana....
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Jim,

Thanks for the insights on the difference between the E-Tec and the Honda 60HP. Monetary exchange rates can make a big difference in the price of Japanese manufactured goods.

Anxious to hear your first hand report of the first trip with the new boat and new motor. Amazing what Spoonpluggers go through to get a first rate tiller motor and boat.

TN Dave
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

"I decided on the E-tec for several reasons: US made, reliability, low maintenance, and hell...they look good too! and price was great. $7300 for a 60hp" AATTTAA-Boy JIM!! Way to Represent! As far as $ Exchange Rate for Jap Goods, 12/07 should be enuf to make that call!!
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.