Penn Reels for casting

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Nick Tabor

Penn Reels for casting

Post by Nick Tabor »

I am thinking of converting a rod or two from Penn reels to line counter reels. I was wondering if anyone used Penn reels to cast with. Would like to convert the penn reels to bottom fishing and I would just be casting a heavy bottom weight with bait and letting it sit for catfish. I know they use some type of penn reels for ocean fishing like this from the bank.
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Hi Nick,
It was great meeting you at the Winter seminar!

If you are using 109's then it's going to be very difficult to cast with the direct drive. Even if you have 9's or 10's they are still difficult to cast longer distances. I really like the Ambassador both C3's and C4's they seem to hold up the best for casting all baits.
Nick Tabor

Post by Nick Tabor »

Jerry,
Thanks for the reply, I thought that but wasn't quite sure. I agree with the ambassador line, thats what I use for catfishing on the Illinois however I went to the braided line last year with no stretch and had two catapolt out of the boat . After dragging the bottom with a spoonplug came up with no rod or reel and was about $325 poorer. Now I thought I could recycle the penns for that if I made the line counter change. Probably will get rod holders for the boat and new ambassadors. Mailed your letter yesterday. Thanks again.
Nick
Fran Myers
JB1

Line Counter Reels

Post by Fran Myers »

Nick,
Last year I used line counter reels. After pounding the heck out of them I switched back to the Penn 109's. If you are going to try line counters, buy some of the more expensive ones, or saltwater type. I used a Cabelas middle of the road reel. It was great until they were just worn out. Yet they look brand new. Happens pretty quick. Also use thicker wire lines (like 20lb wire) other wise the wire gets between the spool and the side of the reel. Lost 2 wire lines that way.

After talking to Terry O'Malley, he suggested switching to the Penn 965 or 955. They are not direct drive but the drags are better and they are saltwater reels and they are pretty tough.

This year besides the Penn 965's, I will be using an added on line counter. I don't know if it will work but I'll try it.
Fran Myers
Nick Tabor

Post by Nick Tabor »

Fran,

Thanks for the input, after Jerry's response I dont think I want to spend the extra cash and have the penn reels sitting around so am going to stick with them on the spoonplug poles. The line counter addition sounds interesting, let me know how you like it and what brand you try. I have a difficult time counting the layers on wire and thought the line counter would be better but I do like the solid durability of the penns so for now will continue with what I am doing and pay more attention as I let line out.
Nick
jwt
800 series

Line Counters

Post by jwt »

Fran, you have a good ideas. Have you, or anyone else on the BBS, looked into or had experience add-on line counters? Good ones? Bad ones? I see Bass Pro has a house brand for $9.99, Cabelas has a Rapala Lighted for $14.95, and a Shakespeare for $12.99 (Jann's Netcraft has the same one for $9.75).