12lb wire line

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
indianabass
250 series

12lb wire line

Post by indianabass »

I know 17lb is a good overall wire line to use...what would be a scenario that I should use the 12lb wire line?

Andy Jagger
charlie myers

Re: 12lb wire line

Post by charlie myers »

You can get great depth control with 12 lb wire. The best scenario in using it would be snag free, low weed bodies of water. I quit using it because I got too many kinks and lost lures. Not to mention, lost lures attached to a fish! I fish primarily for muskies now. I use 20 lb wire and only lost one lure to a kink last season. You lose depth, but overall, the increased strength is worth it. Skill and diligence in checking the last few feet of line may allow you to use 12 lb. But I'll never use it again.

Charlie
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Andy,
17 is good all around wire. I have used it for most of my fishing life. 12 pound is like Charlie said, for more snag free type waters. I have found myself going to 12 more and more out here, due to running lures as deep as I can get them. Kinks are always a problem, but they can be over come with diligent line inspection. I used 17 for years there in Indiana and had no problems in those central Indiana reservoirs.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Woody

Post by Woody »

How easy or hard is it to fish with wire???? What are the pros and cons????
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

The guys are correct on everything that they have told you about the 12# wire. It gets you the deepest with a shorter amount of line but kinks are trouble and when using around weeds where there is a lot of ripping through or in a snaggy environment, you would want to go to the 17 or 20#. Wire is for fishing deep structure situations. It is not for the beginner or it is not the first thing that you want to learn. If you want to become a good spoonplugger, your first season should be spent on bodies of water that have good water color where you can learn to run the first three sizes of spoonplugs. When you can do that, then you can take the next step of learning how to fish the inbetweed depth's. And last should come the interpretation of the deeper waters. The mechanics is what we are talking about, not your interpretation. By starting out in this way, you learn to interpret weather and water conditions and relate the fish movents to the structure situations that you will find. Only in this way will you gain the knowledge that will lead you in knowing what to do in any fishing situation. Do not skip over learning how to troll and cast the shallows. It is your first step in becoming a good spoonplugger. John
charlie myers

Post by charlie myers »

Woody,

To answer your question about the ease or difficulty of using wire line, it's like anything else in spoonplugging. It's awkward at first, but you get used to it. The difficulty is getting kinks in the wire and losing lures/fish. But that gets better with experience. But once you get used to it, wire is a great tool. Hope this helps.

Charlie