Penn 9M Reel

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
beckman44
700 series

Penn 9M Reel

Post by beckman44 »

I was wondering if anyone has used this reel. I bought one last year and it didn`t seem to hold up well. I have some of the Penn 109`s that I have had redone, and I know they don`t make them anymore. I like the large handle on the 9m but it just doesn`t seem to be made strong enough to handle the rigors of the larger spoonplugs. What do you guys think? Bill Beck.
MartyMcAvoy
200 series

Penn 9M vs 109 & Others

Post by MartyMcAvoy »

Hello Bill! I made a post some time ago on the subject...I, & this is personal preference only after several years of independent study, now seeing the Light of Group Study(Clubs), I Prefer Any of the Penns w/the Stainless Steel Spool. As I have Broken a few(approx. 4) of the Black Anodized Aluminum Spooled 109s &/or Mag 10s. This was w/20# No-Bo vs. my hardhead! But, Since switching to Stainless, in any model, 109, 209, or 210...I have not broken 1 since, despite the hardhead! It is my belief that the Al. spool will flex under severe load, such as a Hang, allowing the brass gear to get out of position, & pop, chipped teeth. Since then, thru attending the Outings & Seminars, I have learned a great many things, 1 being a good use for the Al. Spooled reels is loading em up w/12#, &/or 17# No-Bo, as this weight of line gives up before the spool does, besides, them 4 & 500s can't really deal w/20#! As far as the 9M, it is quite nice but suffers the same slow ratio as the 209 @ 3 - 1. Making U spend more effort retrieving than necessary, the 109 has 3.75 - 1 ratio, Noticably Better. & the Penn Mag 10 & Penn 210 both R 4 - 1 w/Ball-Bearings, & Very Nice, U might not mind any of this much...just put a female in the boat, & U will! Or if U have a Nostalgic side, U can also try a Ocean City or True Temper 940, these r the Spoonplugger Models. One of my 9m's has become a display model, Show Girl! Penn made 4 spools for these by the way...Plastic, Chrome Plated Brass, Black Anodized Aluminum, & Stainless Steel. Just Look Close, & U can tell which 1 it is. See U on the Water Somewhere, Marty.
Knowledge is the Key to Success! Sharing it is Part of that Success! IN~Spoonplugger.