Madison WI Fisherman - Did Bucks Study Course and I'm Hooked

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Thornb1
500 series

Madison WI Fisherman - Did Bucks Study Course and I'm Hooked

Post by Thornb1 »

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled into this forum after fishing on Lake Mendota last week. Ran into a couple of gentlemen who were trolling the 20 ft break on maple bluff and thought to myself, geez they are doing exactly what I'm doing. People on Mendota rarely fish like I have ever since I read Buc's materials and reading his materials absolutely changed my fishing life. In years past, 4 hours on Mendota in the summer meant one or two fish if I was lucky. This summer, fishing the right depth structure for pike and I've caught countless upper 30" inchers (still a 40" virgin on Mendota though :)). Asked the guys I ran into what they were trolling and they said spoonplugs, they asked me what I was trolling and I responded with a... a spoonplug. Naturally, we had an immediate connection. I chatted with the guys for 15 minutes and bought a rare JB2 from one of them (Mike). They informed me that there was a group of spoonpluggers meeting at Mendota that day. I couldn't attend the meeting, but now I'm trying to reach out and connect with this group. I look forward to hearing / meeting some of you in the future.
Last edited by Thornb1 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Hornberger
troy.hornberger@wisc.edu
Verona, WI
Joetrain
500 series

Re: Madison WI Fisherman - Did Buc's Study Course and I'm Hooked

Post by Joetrain »

Good stroke of luck for you to run into the group up in your area.
I’m new to spoon plugging as well. I have acquired a small collection of lures and have been out about 6 times so far. I have had a few good days and one skunk so far.

I’m curious as to what a JB2 lure is. Can you post a picture for me?

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
Thornb1
500 series

Re: Madison WI Fisherman - Did Bucks Study Course and I'm Hooked

Post by Thornb1 »

JB2 is a large spoonplug like lure that can go much deeper than an 800 series on braid. I think there are quite a few discussions about this on the forum. Thermocline in Mendota has been down around 30-35ft and the wire line I bought this spring (30lb monel) doesn't get an 800 series deep enough, the JB2 should get down there with no problem.
Troy Hornberger
troy.hornberger@wisc.edu
Verona, WI
Joetrain
500 series

Post by Joetrain »

Yes I read the discussions about the lure but wasn’t sure what it was. Thank you for replying.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Lucky day! Our group is a generous bunch with most willing to share knowledge and offer tips. In your S WI area and others, there are more Spoonpluggers on the water than most people realize, if you know what to look for. You converting what you read into focused effort and fishing success is a good sign. Selecting excellent fishing water also a good choice. Our multi-species "Buck Sez" get-together you bumped into (in so-so weather, and with some in the group fishing Madison for the first time) caught: SM/LM to 20" casting & trolling, Walleye to 28" casting & trolling, Pike to 38" casting & trolling, and catfish 20+ lb casting. No records but next time who knows :lol: Do you have the Green Book? It has what's most important for you to know, the big-picture essentials, while the HSC fills all those categories in with detail. Your on-the-water time is key, however, so good job. Our guys tend to be independent in their fishing, able to explore new waters for whichever species and be confident in their success. That's one of the best parts to many! Like many I've caught my share of big pike/musky, that's what happens, but on Saturday decided to start on Monona at a LM feature identified and mapped the week before. Within earshot of a couple musky guys, I cast to the first spot (contact point) and caught zero. But on the second, 30 yds away, landed a series of LM starting with 19 1/2" on the first cast. Fun stuff. Should be a good spring area, too. It never hurts to have options. Glad you posted and welcome. Scott

Thank you Buck Perry (and Terry O'Malley)!
BUTLER TROLLER
400 series

Post by BUTLER TROLLER »

Glad to see you here Troy! I'm Mike,who met up with you on Mendota that day!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Laughing............. The JB lure is not rare, just not advertised. At one time, a saltwater company was supposed to give me a little gas money to buy the whole works but they have yet to make a move so I still have over 100 available. They are 20 bucks each plus shipping. They really are not for beginners but they are available. 260-854-3921 evenings. 7260S 080E Wolcottville, In. 46795 Call ahead. John