Lake Wateree SC

CHAMP
700 series

Lake Wateree SC

Post by CHAMP »

I do believe this is the best bar in this lake. There is some channel breaklines up lake I would check.
But overall lake doesn't look too good to me.
Considering lake visibility is same everywhere.
Anyone else willing to look?
Attachments
watree2.jpg
watree2.jpg (482.98 KiB) Viewed 120905 times
watree1.jpg
watree1.jpg (287.45 KiB) Viewed 120905 times
David Powell
Team9nine
800 series

Re: Lake Wateree SC

Post by Team9nine »

No way I could pick out the best bar, but a quick look around showed an awful lot of nice looking stuff worth checking out if it was me. I really like the looks of some of those “complex” structures that appear to have multiple bars and breaklines in a small area. Agree on some of those upriver channel breaklines and delta ridges. They look good. No idea what water color looks like, so that could definitely change my opinion, but seems like more than enough structures to keep a guy busy for a while. Also looks like it might be heavily current influenced like several other TVA impoundments.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

If it was this time of year I’d start at Colonel cove. If nothing happening in that cove I’d shoot across the lake and work that side all the way to the dam.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Could you point out Colonel cove
David Powell
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

BF1ED399-E175-439F-9DD7-6F6D8F8470DC.jpeg
BF1ED399-E175-439F-9DD7-6F6D8F8470DC.jpeg (278.83 KiB) Viewed 120829 times
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

Champ, this I was told used to have a ton of big bass the water color is pretty good in the summer and is loaded with striper and crappies.

I have a couple buddies who still fish it (mainly pounding the bank) and catch fish very often over 10.

I’ve always wanted to fish it but can’t seem to get away from Santee Cooper.

This lake is quite a bit more manageable than Santee Cooper as it’s not nearly as big. Beaver creek is where my buddy’s hammer the striper and crappies so I’d prolly start there or at the headwaters where in narrows down.

Monticello was the lake that used to be absolutely loaded with huge bass. I work with a store in Columbia and the owner said years ago it wasn’t uncommon to catch half dozen over 10 per trip. He showed me pictures too.

Def. Take a plug knocker!
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

Also I just talked to the guy who fished Monticello a lot and he said there are 6-8lb smallies in here too.

They always caught the big fish early on the flats with top water and fishing the rip rap and brush piles.

Looks like a fun place to try
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

I'm gonna try and do watree sometime this summer maybe July. Sounds like I will have to devote a day or two to monticello.
David Powell
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Is this the same Lake Monticello? If so, they recently drained and nuked it, so it may be a while before you see lots of big bass again. Sounds like you may not even be able to launch for a couple years.

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/sports/ ... e5079.html
derdly
200 series

Post by derdly »

That’s in Arkansas. I’m in sc
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

My mistake. Searched for SC but that story got snuck in the feed and I didn’t catch it. Turns out several states have ‘Lake Monticellos’