The man Buck Perry

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

The man Buck Perry

Post by John Bales »

I spend a lot of time looking out over the lake I live on wondering what the fish are doing. Here is the beauty of having spoonplugging knowledge. You no longer have to guess. Weather and water controls it all. What they do daily and seasonally is controlled by weather and water. If you can interpret all the structure situations in the lake, fish enough that you know what fish do seasonally, the last step is to eliminate the unproductive water until you arrive at the fish. You do that with depth and speeds, in on and around these features the the fish use in their movements and migrations. Sound familiar? We can cast or we can troll. The situation will dictate which is best. How well you know your body of water can tell you what is needed also. If you know the lake well, casting can get it done. At times, trolling will be the only way to catch a fish. Trolling starts to shine as the water temps warm. It is far less effective during the cold water period. A fisherman must be ready to do both. When I see a guy on the water and he has his trolling rods out but no casting rods, I would put him in the category of a half assed spoonplugger. That tells me right away that he has never gotten into a school of bass which is the holey grail of what spoonplugging really is. The ultimate goal is to get into that school. Going through the process of eliminating water, the rest of the species is a bonus. All of these other species besides the bass are easier to catch. You don't have to be right on the money to catch them. Your presentation of lures for the bass needs to be a bit more on the money to put them in the boat. I had no idea what Paul Prorock's article was going to be about in last month's newsletter. We both wrote about the same thing. Getting into the school and making your catch on the cast. This part seems to be lacking in our group of fishermen. It is a shame that there are so many that have not had this feeling of such a high that you get when every cast produces another adult bass. It is fast and furious and very easy to loose your cool but don't let that happen. I still shake but tell myself to have enough discipline to not screw up till I get the last one. All efforts should be to put yourself in this situation. It's a great feeling. All credit goes to Mr. Perry. John
MuskyAddict
200 series

Re: The man Buck Perry

Post by MuskyAddict »

I can’t say that I’ve experienced it John but I’m doing the work to get there. I’m going for 3 days to northern MN next weekend for musky opener. My friends will be banging the banks but I’ll be alone in my boat trolling breaklines and learning the lake. I won’t be focused on musky. I’ll be focused on depth and speed and seeing what species are in what structure.

Ken
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry
Hal Standish
700 series

Re: The man Buck Perry

Post by Hal Standish »

John Bales wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:59 am I spend a lot of time looking out over the lake I live on wondering what the fish are doing. Here is the beauty of having spoonplugging knowledge. You no longer have to guess. Weather and water controls it all. What they do daily and seasonally is controlled by weather and water. If you can interpret all the structure situations in the lake, fish enough that you know what fish do seasonally, the last step is to eliminate the unproductive water until you arrive at the fish. You do that with depth and speeds, in on and around these features the the fish use in their movements and migrations. Sound familiar? We can cast or we can troll. The situation will dictate which is best. How well you know your body of water can tell you what is needed also. If you know the lake well, casting can get it done. At times, trolling will be the only way to catch a fish. Trolling starts to shine as the water temps warm. It is far less effective during the cold water period. A fisherman must be ready to do both. When I see a guy on the water and he has his trolling rods out but no casting rods, I would put him in the category of a half assed spoonplugger. That tells me right away that he has never gotten into a school of bass which is the holey grail of what spoonplugging really is. The ultimate goal is to get into that school. Going through the process of eliminating water, the rest of the species is a bonus. All of these other species besides the bass are easier to catch. You don't have to be right on the money to catch them. Your presentation of lures for the bass needs to be a bit more on the money to put them in the boat. I had no idea what Paul Prorock's article was going to be about in last month's newsletter. We both wrote about the same thing. Getting into the school and making your catch on the cast. This part seems to be lacking in our group of fishermen. It is a shame that there are so many that have not had this feeling of such a high that you get when every cast produces another adult bass. It is fast and furious and very easy to loose your cool but don't let that happen. I still shake but tell myself to have enough discipline to not screw up till I get the last one. All efforts should be to put yourself in this situation. It's a great feeling. All credit goes to Mr. Perry. John
Right -On! John you many others here are living proof of Buck's Legacy water temps are warming and the chasers are beginning to do their thing.

hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry