Madison Chain

site admin
Site Admin

Madison Chain

Post by site admin »

It's been over one year since lake of the week was posted!
So, I'll be posting a series about the Madison chain, to help with the excitement for this upcoming outing.
In this first one, we'll start out simple. The Madison chain is a good example of a chain of lakes system.
Where would you expect to find the clearest water color?
Where would you expect to find the best water color?
Where would you expect to find migratory species throughout the year? (Note: there is a lock and dam between Mondota (the upmost lake) and Monona).
Attachments
madison chain.JPG
madison chain.JPG (114.49 KiB) Viewed 82454 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Madison Chain

Post by Steve Craig »

I guess Ill take a shot at it. Never fished here in my life. In fact, never fished a true "chain of lakes" either.
But, a Spoonplugger likes a challenge. So here goes.

"Where would you expect to find the clearest water color?"
I am guessing here but probably the middle to lower lakes?

"Where would you expect to find the best water color?"
I would have to guess and say Mendota? Because it is the first in the Chain and has several little feeders flowing in. Weedline would be somewhere in the 8 to 10 foot range. Maybe a bit deeper?

"Where would you expect to find migratory species throughout the year?"
While we are there in June, my gut tells me to spend my time from the weedline out to 32 to 35 feet or so. Mainly for Walleyes and Northerns. Find some rocky/hard areas for the Smallmouth. This would all depend on if there is a Thermocline that time of year. Staying above it for sure. I wouldnt expect to fish deeper (45 to 70 feet) like I do on Eagle Lake in Canada in October.

Well Jim,
Im up for your critique. How far off am I?
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

The most upstream lake will be the clearest. The water color will generally get better and better as you go downstream. This is due to more run-off and etc as you go downstream. I believe this is discussed in the home study course in detail. Below satellite pic confirms this as you can see. The most upstream lake (Mendota) is a light yellow/green, weeds as deep as 15ft+. When you get to the last lake (Kengonsa) your talking pea soup color most of the time. Same situation at the chain of lakes in northern illinois. Also, the most upstream lake will usually be the deepest.
Attachments
chain water color.JPG
chain water color.JPG (244.54 KiB) Viewed 82415 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Like I said ,Jim,
Never been there. I could have sworn Buck said that generally the first lake was usually the darkest. I'll double check later.
Nice to know though and thanks for clearing that up. I'm a Reservior guy for sure. Home of the fish is the channel. Is it correct to assume the channel in this chain is too? Along with deep holes as well.
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

Great idea to do this, Jim! Your satellite pic shows the situation really well...miles of farmland in every direction once you get beyond the city. I had no idea what to expect either before my first trip there years ago but was sure pleasantly surprised! Mendota for a "1st lake" does try to stay clear but the nutrients from the farmland in the small drainage Yahara River eventually win. The added color really is noticeable as you fish each lake downstream, as Jim noted on the google map.
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

...but like you Steve I've never fished Madison in June to see the timing of how the color and weedlines develop on the different lakes. I'm looking forward to learning more from others here who have, and of course by fishing during that time!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Do not expect the northern pike to be as it is in Late July, early august. Especially this year. Everything is behind. The depths of the lakes is a dead give away. The deepest is most likely to be the clearest. The two lakes to the south are shallower which tells you that they have the best color Mr. Perry said that the waters need to warm up in the deeper depths for those fish to begin to move and for you and I to start to catch them consistently. Maybe the smaller fish but not the ones over 40 inches. The musky and northerns should migrate to the shallower darker lakes to spawn and eventually work their way to Monona for the rest of the season. Thats where the smart musky guys end their season in Monona because that is where most of them end up. I would wager that the spoonplugger who brings a casting rod and knows where and how to use it will do well. Not largemouth but smallmouth for sure. Mendota is a wonderful lake with tons of great structures. Too many to fish in 3 days for sure. John
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

A little story about Lake Kegonsa and water color. My uncle John has lived right across the street from Lake Kegonsa since the early 80's. Back then they didn't have the modern sewer system that they do now. The water color was so good in the summer, dark yellow green, that he use to go out in the middle of the day on a hump, and anchor. As long as their was a chop of some sort even with full sun, he could catch a bunch of walleyes right on the top in 8 feet of water. It still gets pretty good water color, but not the real dark yellow green. thus not as shallow of movements. Bill.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Found this map on the National Spoonpluggers of America Facebook site. I believe they copied it from Brians Structure Cafe site.It is a map that Joe Ehrhardt made on Mendota. He was an early Spoonplugger back in the early days. might come in handy for some while there.
Me......Im going to spend my time where my Mentor Jerry Borst told me to go. LOL!
MendotaerhartMap.png
MendotaerhartMap.png (687.79 KiB) Viewed 82326 times
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Steve and Bill,
Thanks for the recent comments and the posting of the Mendota map. Looking forward to seeing everyone and I continue to receive commitments from those interested in attending. It will be a great time for those attending. The camp discussions should be enjoyable and interesting. Until we meet, all the best!!!
Phil
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Water Temps this week were in the mid to upper 40's. Next week the weather will be much warmer. Around 80 degrees. Definitely will help get the water temps up. I did not see any weed growth yet on Lake Monona when I was out this past Monday. More sun this week should get that going also. Last season we had a warm early June and the fishing was really good for most species. Caught some very nice Muskies and quite a few Pike also.
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

From the Lake Mendota buoy

Temperature 10.1 °C 50.2 °F
Dew Point 5.2 °C 41.4 °F
Rel. Hum. 72.0%
Wind Speed 5.44 kts 6.3 mph
Wind Direction 26° NNE
Water Temperature
0m 7.7 °C 45.9 °F
-1m 7.7 °C 45.9 °F
-5m 7.7 °C 45.9 °F
-10m 7.6 °C 45.7 °F
-15m 7.5 °C 45.5 °F
-20m 7.3 °C 45.1 °F
Last updated: 2022-05-07 4:08:00Z(11:08 CDT)
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

I like the way that has water temps down in the depths,something to keep an eye on all year
David Powell
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

David here's the link. The data is posted every minute, 24 hrs a day from May through October. You can watch it and see the day the lake stratifies. Usually around May 15th. https://metobs.ssec.wisc.edu/mendota/buoy/
Scott Duff
250 series

Post by Scott Duff »

This week's summer in May saw some progress with 4 days of 90+! Surface water temp in a new lake fished with 3' color not far from Madison went 51-71+ in just 9 days. Multiple muskies were caught on a 400 SP as I started working out a feeder arm with bass heading to spawn. Weather will drop back some next week but just normal 60's-70's.