Catching Pike in New Mexico!

TurboJim
250 series

Catching Pike in New Mexico!

Post by TurboJim »

A few weeks ago, friend and I entered a Pike round up at Eagles Nest Lake, New Mexico. Using our Spoonplugging knowledge, we were able to quickly locate the Pike and make them strike. Pike is an invasive species in this trout lake, as they were introduced by an angler around 2010. Well,we did our part to catch as many as possible and now I have plenty of fillets for the winter!! My largest Pike on this trip was 40" but know that several 47's were pulled out earlier in the week.

CLICK LINK TO WATCH VIDEO:https://rumble.com/vmzygl-fishing-at-ea ... z&mc=8jgje

CLICK ON LINK TO WATCH VIDEO
CLICK ON LINK TO WATCH VIDEO
40 INCH PIKE IN NEW MEXICO.jpg (318.93 KiB) Viewed 12293 times

I have several other videos on the channel. Over the past 4 yrs, I have learned to follow the guidelines from the green book and it has paid off. All I can say is Thank You Buck!!

Enjoy!

Jim
Last edited by TurboJim on Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Lund16 Pike Special,25hp Yamaha,Garmin 8610SXV,GT-15(15deg),GT36 UHD,LiveScope,Vexilar FL-12
Home of the Hop-R Jigs www.turboanglerfishing.com
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/@turboanglerfishing
Rumble:https://rumble.com/c/TurboAngler
John Bales
JB2

Re: Catching Pike in New Mexico!

Post by John Bales »

Those are some fatties. Good Job. John
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Looks like fun! I would love to get my hands on one of those "Border patrol' Life Jackets

hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Awesome Jim!!!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
TurboJim
250 series

Post by TurboJim »

Thanks Guys!.. Yeah the BP life vest is cool! Not sure where he picked it up.
1990 Lund16 Pike Special,25hp Yamaha,Garmin 8610SXV,GT-15(15deg),GT36 UHD,LiveScope,Vexilar FL-12
Home of the Hop-R Jigs www.turboanglerfishing.com
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/@turboanglerfishing
Rumble:https://rumble.com/c/TurboAngler
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Jim, you are to be complimented for your catch and thanks for sharing. Well done, indeed! It is unfortunate that the pike are viewed in such a manner. This is a great fish in many Spoonplugging respects and I know of others that would love to have such a pike fishery nearby. Keep up the studying and water time. Spoonpluggging is simply a pure joy when followed properly. Those that mix Spoonplugging and other sources can become distracted and then never reach their full potential and lose out on many, many enjoyable days ahead!!!
Phil
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Phil, I was one who for years got distracted with many different ways of catching a fish besides just the basics of spoonplugging. I realize you were right though because I still feel like I have not reached my full potential, however every single day on the water, I feel like I am getting a little closer. Not sure why there is always a comment by you that is negative towards opening up your mind to anything other than what is written in the green book. There are some of us who are able to weed out the good from the bad and run with the good. John .........Let me add a good example to my statement. My son and I fished Lake St. Clair with some other spoonpluggers in the early season. We had a day that was pretty tough but we ground it out, trolling and casting a few type lures both on the troll and the cast. At the end of my fishing day, I believe my son and I were in the low 40's in numbers. Nothing great but a few 3 and 4 pounders. One of the other boats that was there were very dedicated by the book spoonpluggers. During the whole fishing day, we were in view for them to pretty much follow what we were doing. I am not sure they caught a fish that day. Why would they not do what we did? Any knowledge in fishing that may offer a different depth, speed, size, color, or action , can be used at some time and place once learned. Sometimes I get angry. Sorry. John
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

John, will be delighted to respond to your thoughts. First off, no need to apologize for offering your opinion and I certainly take no offense. Very few anglers, if any, reading this link have invested the time on the water as you. I encourage others to limit deviation from Spoonplugging because it becomes easy to lose ones’ way. We both know there is so much nonsense written and videotaped within the Fishing Industry that is simply false. The excess informational overload requires great digestion in what is true and what is not. Beyond this, we can spend an entire lifetime in applying Buck’s principles and yet we continue to learn.

Here are some examples that ground my thinking:

I will start with Denny, a person that you have high regard for. I remember him looking at a man (approximately 55 years old) that just starting spoonplugging. Denny commented that it is a shame that the individual is starting so late in life because he will not have a full grasp of Spoonplugging. Time in this case is the enemy because Spoonplugging is a lifetime of learning.

For decades Buck delivered a consistent message regarding the basics. He could have elaborated further and created complexity to his message but opted not to do so.

I remember Dickson stating that Buck required Don to avoid reading or being exposed to other ideas outside of his teaching. This advice, along with Don’s commitment, made him the finest Spoonplugger that sat in a boat with Buck.

Dickson also stated “that there has not been anything of value said or written about fishing outside of Buck’s teaching.” I am in his camp on this belief and this is why I write what I do.

John, hope this clarifies my position and have a good one!
Phil