markers

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
whopper Stopper

markers

Post by whopper Stopper »

Markers are VERY important TOOLS when it comes to the mapping process. Does anyone have any tips on making up markers. Lets say, the COLOR of the markers, as far as one color that might be more visible under a certain light condition, or a certain jug or container that could serve the purpose better than another one. Any tips? I use to have trouble with curious Georges ,if you will, Picking up My markers. I thought that mabey this coming year I might write on my markers something like,, Dont pick up markers, Im fishing! Or better yet,, CAUTION " This container COULD contain Hazardous material"! I wouldnt go that far, but it may had crossed my mind a time or two! (Open for Suggestions.) Thanks

Whopper Stopper
jwt
800 series

Markers

Post by jwt »

Whopper Stopper,

Buck used gallon gas cans painted red, I believe. I use gallon Tide bottles. They are large, orange, and can be seen at a distance; even up sun in a chop. I use 12 oz saltwater sinkers so they will hold in rough weather. There is a paint out now that is specially formulated for plastic. It doesn't come in orange or any of the fluorescent colors, so I painted a half-gallon Gatorade bottle with the red plastic paint and then used fluorescent orange over that. Haven't use 'em enough to form an opinion on them. One thing I'm waiting to see is whether the paint chips or peels.

A marker was introduced at the Winter Seminar a year or so ago. It's a kid's swimming noodle about 18" to 2' long weighted with an iron pipe nipple shoved up into the center of the noodle and a flange at the bottom to attach the sinker line. They stand straight up in the water. Somewhere on this BBS is a write up on them along with pictures.

Two things to keep in mind: use a decent size line for the sinkers so it it is easy to handle, and use something large enough and colored so you can locate it at a distance in a chop; especially up sun.
pat maio

markers

Post by pat maio »

Jim mentioned a goodie.
That noodle marker is the bestI've seen and I've tried many. Easy to make, cheap and works superb. Look it up on the prior posts.