Fall Fishing Part 1 of 2

Steve Craig
JB2

Fall Fishing Part 1 of 2

Post by Steve Craig »

Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Re: Fall Fishing Part 1 of 2

Post by John Bales »

Don describes that there is something that takes place in the fall which eventually creates a stable condition which may cause fish to come shallow and create some easy fishing. What he does not say that from the very start of the cold nights, the sinking and mixing of the surface water creates a very unstable changing water condition which will last several weeks. During that time , it will be the toughest most unstable water conditions of the season. In our part of the country (Mid-west), the actual time that the water may be the same temperature from top to bottom does not happen until the leaves are all off the trees. In most all of our lakes, the thermocline is completely gone about the time the surface temperatures get to about 50 degrees. As the water condition becomes more stable, the fishing improves and this period is a very short before the ice comes on. We have experienced this over and over for many years and if you are out there fishing, you will understand how it is all related. John PS. Before someone jumps in here and says that the water continues to sink until the surface temps get to 39 degrees, this is true also.
Lip ripper
200 series

Post by Lip ripper »

AMEN TO THAT JOHN HERE IN MICHIGAN THINGS ARE ABOUT 2 WEEKS BEHIND . INDIAN SUMMER HOLDING ON STRONG. I POST PHONED MY VACATION 2 MORE WEEKS . CANT WAIT TO GET ON THOSE SMALLMOUTH. LOOKS LIKE THE FAMILY WILL BE CARVING THE TURKEY IN MY BOAT!!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Around here, most of our theroclines in the deeper lakes are around 30 feet. We have had some decent days but not real good with some crap days inbetween. I have friends who are out there the same days I am so am lucky to be able to compare a days fishing with others. It seems like when the fish don't move very good for us, its the same for everyone else. Makes you feel better on a tough day anyways. The good stuff is coming . John
charliesm48

Post by charliesm48 »

Great info and also great reminder. The last few weeks have been tough for me. And also a great reminder to stay at it until ice up. Thanks John
Mapper
200 series

Post by Mapper »

What Dickson explains clearly here are the two aspects of what causes that great ‘fall fishing bonanza’; stability in water temps and diminished light penetration. He also states that this is a period occurring after the turn-over process.
I’ve encountered difficult fishing during the fall on many, many occasion, but soon understood the reason why - instability. Now there were times when in an extended ‘Indian Summer’ I did very well, because the full brunt of the turnover was not yet in effect and the warmer conditions lasted long enough to promote good movement(s), IMO.
I also surmised that the conditions Buck was referring to pertained more to regions south of the midwest.

All that said, Buck also taught us how to offset unstable conditions that can occur in the fall or during frontal clashes in the Midwest - fish river systems or waters with good current. When the Fall transition goes into swing, you’ll find me on the rivers or the Great Lake, pending wind conditions.

Envy the fishermen who use bigger nets, not bigger boats!
Walt