Nature stuff

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
brett
100 series

Nature stuff

Post by brett »

I saw a bald eagle today in southern WI fishing the same lake I was. 48 years never seen one around here. Spoke to someone about it and there was also a sighting on Powers Lake last week. The guy took a pic to prove it. Pretty damn COOL!!!

Also, I’m running into a Loon on every lake I’ve fished this spring. It never failes that they come “say hi,” about 2 full casts away. Not too close but close enough that they’re checking me out. Used to happen a lot when I Muskie fished up in Northern WI in fall. They would come by and swim around our suckers and be a bit of a pain. So back to today, this Loon kept showing up wherever I was. It kinda got strange and I’m thinking either he’s super curious and friendly or my sonar was extra interesting to him. Don’t think it was a coincidence.
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: Nature stuff

Post by Fran Myers »

There have been a LOT of Eagles around. I always think its a sign of good luck to see one.
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Yeh, the eagles are everywhere it seems.
Out west, we have so many, that they are wrecking havoc on small game, as well as big game numbers.
Don't think an eagle can take down an elk calf? Think again. I've seen one eagle kill a coyote, in just a few minutes. But baldys, only catch fish!!! They are a non discriminate hunter.
I was in Alaska a few years ago, and saw thousands, not hundreds, but thousands of them. When i asked about the large numbers, the locals just say they use the 3 S principle .
Most hunters and Trappers hate them.
Sheep men kill every one they see taking their lambs.
Don't get me wrong, they are our National bird, but there are just way too many, due to over protection in many areas.
My last trip to Alaska 2 years ago, I had one swoop in on a King salmon I had caught, and fly off with it, lure and all! The Captain yelled, set the hook!!!
So I did. Got the lure back, but not the fish. Lol.
I've seem several here in Indiana where there never were any before.
A Montana rancher fellow I met called them, Mr. Sh!third eagle!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Haha good stuff Steve. Especially the SET THE HOOK! I didn’t realize they have come back in such force. Crazy they were almost extinct not too long ago. Seeing thousands of them though - that’s a bit freaky.
MuskyAddict
200 series

Post by MuskyAddict »

It’s great news. I love Loons (I’m from MN) but the Eagle has always been my favorite. While fishing in Canada I’ve seen a few aerial flights between eagles and osprey. The eagle is an incredible predator. I have a “friend” who has fed a few circling eagles from his live well - Whig is a pretty cool thing to watch. I read a piece lately that highlights the recovery of eagles from 600+ nesting pairs in the late 60’s to over 70,000 nesting pairs today. This winter I had at least 4 eagles nesting in my area over the winter instead of migrating south. I don’t know why they wintered here but they were sure fun to watch.
Ken Smith, Minnesota

"If you asked me what I thought was the most important thing we have to master in becoming a great fisherman, I'd have to say it is in our ability to "interpret" the fishing situation"
-Buck Perry