Thoughts about a net?

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
TN_Explorer
250 series

Thoughts about a net?

Post by TN_Explorer »

No, not thoughts about Annette

I'm looking to replace my cheapo net with something suitable for solo fishing from a 14' boat. Buck gives some limited info but I would like your thoughts. Since I'm by myself 99% of the time I don't think the handle needs to be any longer than necessary to tuck under my arm. I'm guessing it needs to be rubber to minimize hanging hooks and hurting fish, but I don't know if it should be standard or micro mesh. I've seen the lever nets, but leaning toward just a traditional handle. So many choices and price ranges. Beckman, Ranger, EGO, even Frabill seems to have some decent quality nets. Walleye & bass are primary targets.
Team9nine
800 series

Re: Thoughts about a net?

Post by Team9nine »

If you're not having to worry about the larger pike/musky, then a pure rubber conservation net is the best thing for the fish. I got mine from Cabela's over a decade ago - probably much longer than that. And you can buy rubber replacements when it eventually does go bad. Mine has an aluminum handle that retracts and large hoop net (18"-20"). Look closely though - don't get the rubber coated "anything" even if it says knotless. Any net will work, but the pure rubber nets have been scientifically proven as the safest for fish - and treble hooks are never an issue with them.
Nets.JPG
Nets.JPG (68.75 KiB) Viewed 14460 times
TN_Explorer
250 series

Re: Thoughts about a net?

Post by TN_Explorer »

Thanks, Brian

I ordered a Ranger Tournament Series rubber net. Made in USA, lifetime warranty on everything but the rubber, which is replaceable. $59.99 and free shipping from Scheels.