spoonplugs with jigs

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
TN_Explorer
250 series

spoonplugs with jigs

Post by TN_Explorer »

Based on a recommendation and some comments on this forum I have been using a 20" wire leader ahead of my spoonplugs. This seems to work well for me and has cut down on lost lures around rip rap, etc.

At Old Hickory and in several YouTube videos I see people using a jig & plastic worm in line with the spoonplug, either ahead or behind the spoonplug. I don't find any particular details, so here are my questions for those who do this:

1. Do you rig the jig to run ahead or behind the spoonplug? With a 20" leader, rigging the jig ahead of the spoonplug would require a fairly short section of line.

2. Wouldn't tying a jig in tandem with the spoonplug affect the control of the spoonplug?

3. Do you use a lighter weight line on the jig for breakaway in the event of a snag?

Any other tips welcome.
Team9nine
800 series

Re: spoonplugs with jigs

Post by Team9nine »

See if this helps...

1. You can play with line lengths for all components as necessary.
2. Spoonplug won't be affected using any of the larger sizes to go deep, and a lighter weight jig
3. Good idea to go slightly lighter on the drop back line to the jig for the reasons you mentioned.

3-way Rig.png
3-way Rig.png (754.94 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
TN_Explorer
250 series

Re: spoonplugs with jigs

Post by TN_Explorer »

Perfect! Thank you.