Nickajack

TN_Explorer
250 series

Nickajack

Post by TN_Explorer »

Throwing this out for your comments. I have a trip to Nickajack lake in 2 weeks. I have been trying to plan my attack, and would appreciate any feedback. Nickajack lies below the Chickamauga dam. It is part of the Tennessee River system with a very defined channel. I will be staying at the Marion County park, shown in the first picture. There is a long section of submerged railroad track. There is a submerged bridge along a feeder shown on the second picture. My current thought is to troll the railroad track and target the bridge at the feeder creek. There are also several submerged road beds to check out. Am I on the right track? (pun intended)
Attachments
Nickajack.jpg
Nickajack.jpg (187.33 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Nickajack2.jpg
Nickajack2.jpg (193.6 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
CHAMP
700 series

Re: Nickajack

Post by CHAMP »

In my opinion your success in this lake will depend mainly on 2 factors #1 and most important is WATER COLOR #2 current.
As for how to fish it, the trestle could be a snag fest. the bridge yes needs to be checked. But there are many lakes within themselves in this lake that will have nothing to do with the main river channel. Mostly it is a shallow drop off. Be sure to check all feeder cuts.
Also many places outside the main channel navionics says their is flooded timber in lots of places so be careful in running around . I know in some of the lakes that I fish you can get in big trouble running in the places that navionics tells you that there is flooded timber, even thou you cannot see it at normal pool but is there just below the surface.
David Powell
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

Thanks, Champ. You are correct - the info I have heard is this lake is notorious for snags. I'm not sure how to deal with that, other than to get practice with the plug knocker.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Mike
This lake is like many others on the Tennessee River system. It is a Delta lake, just like Old Hickory.
Any man made structures should be checked, and spend some time at the feeder channels right where they cut through the Main Channel.
"Shoot the works " in the presentation of lures in these spots.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
TN_Explorer
250 series

Post by TN_Explorer »

Thank you, Steve. I learned a lot at Old Hickory, and I have been out mapping and bouncing the 500 and 400 spoonplugs at my local lake most all summer. I am looking forward to trying a lake I have not been to before. I appreciate the input.

Mike
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

In my opinion your success in this lake will depend mainly on 2 factors #1 and most important is WATER COLOR #2 current.
I am sorry but this was incorrect information on my part.
I could have said it will be how well you control your depth and speed control, but this would have been wrong also.
You see yours mine and everyone else's Success or lack of and your growth as a spoonplugger will be totally dependent on
your ability of interpretation of the fishing situation.
You see you can be a great caster, troller , mapper, but if you do not have the ability to tie it all together ,fishing results and growth will be lacking.
It is in this area that we must strive to keep improving .If we do not strive to and get better at this then we will never reach our goal of becoming a good/great spoonplugger. I know from personal experience this is were I have failed so many times. But now I make every effort to study maps,try to know what type water i'm own, daily and seasonal movements of the fish,and even weather b4 and day of said fishing.
I know I have a long ways to go, but by fishing as outlined for us to do, and then reviewing the trip on the drive home even some nites lying in bed at 2 in the morning, I know I will if the good lord is willing to give me the time I will become better and better each and every year.
David Powell