U-N-C-L-E

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Fran Myers
JB1

U-N-C-L-E

Post by Fran Myers »

I left the house this week with the absolute mandate to catch a fish at my new cabin. Last week I couldn’t fish because the latch on the trailer was bent and I took boat and trailer for repair. I do have a dock that I could have left boat at but Mille Lacs can get big. I didn’t want to have to find the boat ramp at 2:30am in a raging thunderstorm with 6 footers...

Last week the rail system was installed. YEA! No boat Booo!
I got the call the trailer was fixed just as I was leaving for home. So I went and got the boat, put it in garage and went home...

I was back up this past Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon I asked neighbor to drop me in water after another trip to the Hardware Store. This caused neighbor to come and look at my trolley System. This sparked 5 hours of work, three trips to the hardware store, and a lot of groans.

I got the benefit of 7 years of trolley experiences from neighbor. Do this, don’t do that, you need this, must have that...after 6 hours, I got my boat back On the trolley. YEA.
Of course me being me...things couldn’t go smoothly. Motor hit something right I front of trolley and broke the prop. The motor barely cleared the garage door and I scratched it pulling door down. UGH

Wednesday morning I had decided I was going to catch a darn fish no matter what. I just had to make some adjustments to the trolley to get my boat to fit better. You see the bow was still a couple of feet from the ‘V’ block in the front and I had to get the boat to sit flat on the aft support pads. Thus began the next 6 hours of grunting...

I started by calling boat dealers to find a new prop. I stick with the proper brand. So I called the 3 Yamaha dealers within 60 miles and found 3 props. Yea. I bought one 24 miles away. While there I found a ladder to mount on my dock. The step is too high for me and I nearly launched myself in a backflip over my boat into the water.

I would like to say that my ‘FRIEND’s’ here are familiar with my out of boat experiences. For those new people here - I have taken 2 or 3 falls in the water, been hanging from the crotch whilst snagged trying to get out of boat, you get the idea. A LADDER is a good thing for me. Hahaha I hear the laughing.

So I get back from getting my new prop, and start making adjustments. Of course I have very few tools but I am getting it done. Now my neighbor told me what to do. I spent 6 hours trying to get the darn boat into the ‘V’ block. I spent more time in the water on Wednesday than I have in over a year. Albeit, tied to the trolley. Ugh.

Unexpectedly, my neighbor said it was bad to have a bow hook. Something about boat lifting trolley off the track. So he rigged two cables for both starboard and port aft cleats. ‘S’ hooks will hold the cables to the cleats thus keeping boat lined up with the trolley. He even had me buy hooks for the aft verticals to hang cable to. AND he MADE buy pipe insulation tubes to put on cable so they don’t scratch my boat. Which I put on.

So the task I had was to lower the boat into the water, get the boat closer to the ‘V’ block, bring the boat up, and shorten the side cables. Now it SOUNDs so easy. I am not mechanical at all and it sounds easy...nope. After my many times up and down my ramp I finally started tying the boat to the ‘V’ Block. My rope didn’t last long. It stretched so much I couldn’t move boat any closer.

So off the hardware store again...they LOVE me at the Isle, MN Ace Hardware... because I was going to buy some chain...no more stretch.

All DAY I was thinking - this is too hard. There is no wind, no waves and I am struggling so much. I wish I could have a bunk trailer made to hold my boat. All day I thought that. I didn’t like the pads my boat were sitting on. FINALLY at 6.5 hours into it I called uncle and gave up.

I called the boat place and told them what I wanted. He said he didn’t do that kind of work (booo). He did give me a number for a Mobil welding company that has worked in these trolley systems before...(YEA!!!) And I called right then.

You know I have been calling plumbers and electricians for over a month and no ones come yet. The welder came in less than two hours. 15 minutes later he had a plan to make an adjustable bunk style trolley and then fit it to my boat. On Tuesday. For less than $1000. I went to bed VERY happy.
It was meant to be.

This morning I had to go home. I also had to take boat off the trolley because the welder may get there on Monday when I have to work. Couldn’t find the neighbor so I drove the 2+ miles to the ramp and walked back. Funny it didn’t seem that far driving. My knees are killing me...ugh

The boat is working fine. Sounders on way to ramp showed MASSIVE amounts of bait, big fish where you’d expect them. Thats what happens when you get no spraying. Beautiful short boat ride. Now I will make NO promises that I will fish next week but things look pretty good. I am back up Tuesday morning.

Bye,
Attachments
9B1CB8BA-A11C-4A28-8795-86E92C7CC9A8.jpeg
9B1CB8BA-A11C-4A28-8795-86E92C7CC9A8.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
1E4AA106-A84D-44F9-AF46-1EB27302382E.jpeg
1E4AA106-A84D-44F9-AF46-1EB27302382E.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
408819E2-D42D-4254-81F4-D87FF738C531.jpeg
408819E2-D42D-4254-81F4-D87FF738C531.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
B3FA33CF-41FD-4371-A952-DB0D578B3D8B.jpeg
B3FA33CF-41FD-4371-A952-DB0D578B3D8B.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
2F7E54D1-E732-4B5F-8C87-A9658A645FC1.jpeg
2F7E54D1-E732-4B5F-8C87-A9658A645FC1.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
1D942239-59C6-48A6-9FF9-B42F3BB8FBDB.jpeg
1D942239-59C6-48A6-9FF9-B42F3BB8FBDB.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 9390 times
Fran Myers
TN Dave
100 series

Re: U-N-C-L-E

Post by TN Dave »

Fran
Thanks for the report of your adventures!!

A story of more attempts at going fishing and you will have your first novel. Do keep us updated as the saga continues; something like a soap (fish) opera.

Take care and please be careful out there.

Good Fishing
TN Dave

PS: Great photos.
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Fran; I have to say I am physically and emotionally drained just by reading what you went through. I thought I could even hear the foul language over here in Wisconsin. Soon you will be sitting in that boat catching fish and saying " Oh yea this is all worth it" Bill.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

It was tiring a bit but it’s just growing pains. Once the trolley is done and the furniture arrives things will be golden. I’m flying today but when I get home tonight I am driving right up.

Welder will be be there Tuesday or Wednesday and everything will be great then. Scott is coming up Wednesday afternoon and we will hit it hard then.

I expect to see you up here Bill...😀
Fran Myers
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

You got it done, congrats,
kudos to the neighbor for helping out.

Looking forward to fishing reports!
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]