newby in Illinois

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Kevin Atwell

newby in Illinois

Post by Kevin Atwell »

Hello - finally making the time to join and learn more about spoonplugging - I've read and keep studying Buck Perry's course and appreciate the articles and videos here. Thanks!
jwt
800 series

Re: newby in Illinois

Post by jwt »

Welcome to the forum Newby. You've come to the right place. Where in IL are you located?
Kevin Atwell

Post by Kevin Atwell »

I live in Galesburg. I am learning to spoonplug, just got a 14 foot johnboat 9.5 Evinrude last year. Having trouble with the motor, carb issues.
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Where do you fish? Spoon Lake?
Kevin Atwell

Post by Kevin Atwell »

Argyle and Spring Lake in Macomb, McMasters in Victoria, these allow outboards but are farther away - I fish Lake Storey in Galesburg and Citizens in Monmouth but they are electric motor only.
yaaintdeadyet
250 series

Post by yaaintdeadyet »

Welcome Kevin. I've fished west central IL more than a few times. Siloam Spring State Park is about an hour from Galesburg. I believe it was opened a few weeks ago. Siloam is a good intro lake in regard to tuning your mapping/trolling prowess. There's a wide bar on the west arm that is suitable for mapping while picking up a fish or two. The bar, or rather a large sloping flat is just beyond the narrow cove on the south side. That same cove is often a fresh water feeder as well. The water color at Siloam is usually a yellow-green hue. That creek though and some of the other's influenced by rain run off will create a "stain". You're in an area of some pretty good fishing Kevin.
Keep us involved.
Ya say life's tough, ya say ya got life figured out. Well, Ya aint dead yet.
Kevin Atwell

Post by Kevin Atwell »

outstanding, thanks! once I get my outboard fully running, I'm planning on going to those lakes that don't have restrictions - I have a lot to learn!