My observations

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

My observations

Post by John Bales »

We are living in a different world right now. Our state wants us to go fishing but still use our brains when around others. Our public ramps are loaded with people and in most cases everyone is complying but some think this is just a vacation , not a life saving opportunity. While observing other fishermen, some are very informed and well positioned during a fishing day. Others not so. I'm speaking mostly of the bass guys. My eyes are open but never taking the time to watch close enough to see if they are catching them. My focus is on my own fishing and it is obvious which boats are in position to catch the fish.
Now that I am on the other side and get to fish a lot, I see that at least 40 hours or more of a working persons life is taken from being on the water. When I was in that position, it never stopped me from taking at least 8 days a month plus any vacation time and using that time for fishing and learning. This was our routine and it never changed unless family made fishing not an option. The person who can be on the water more has a far better chance of success than those that are limited or limit themselves. Everyone who is successful in anything has one thing in common and that is self motivation or the desire to learn. Buck gave us all the basics. There is a whole lot more to learn other than what is in the study material but that can be learned by your time on the water. Once the basics are learned, anything you want to learn is easier, however you must have the desire to do so.
This is really the answer to why some are consistent fish catchers and some not. This goes for the bassmaster and the spoonplugger. The fisherman who catches fish consistently is very aware of the size and shape of the structures they are working. This is one of the most important part of fishing you must know and be able to do. If you do not know this one thing, you will never enjoy consistent success. So I ask everyone this question. When you are fishing, running lures, casting, trolling, what ever, do you know the size, shape, breaklines, breaks, on that particular structure you are working? A yes or no answer is what separates consistent success or failure. Can you map a structure? Can you draw it or have it in your mind? Can you make the right trolling passes or casts to eliminate the unproductive water and arrive at the fish?
There is such a thing as spending a lot of time on the water but still not spending time doing the right things in order to get better. In short order, if you cannot map a structure and know what is there before you attempt to fish it, then you need to put everything on hold and learn how to map. Don't even attempt to put a rod in your hand until you get this part done. Once you are able to do it, your catches will sky rocket. John
charliesm48

Re: My observations

Post by charliesm48 »

Thanks John. Excellent, well written article. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to educate us. The spirit of Buck Perry, as a teacher, is definitely in you. He would be proud! Good job!
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Re: My observations

Post by Jim Shell »

Well said John!
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1