St. Clair get together

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

St. Clair get together

Post by John Bales »

Here is a short list of some of the lures you want to get if you don't have if you plan to join our group of guys at Lake St. Clair. #9 shad rap or deep diving suspending husky jerk. A couple each of the KVD suspending jerk bait the 300 series and the shallower running one. Jigs 1/2 and 3/4 ounce with some 3 1/2 inch tubes or put a 3.8 swimbait on the jig. Blade baits 1/2 oz or 3/4. A 250 will catch the fish on the troll also. Just some suggestions. If you can make it , someone can show you the areas to work, how to do it and with what. There is a lot of room to work so no one gets in the way for long. This is the greatest smallmouth fishery in the world. Giant Musky, walleye also. The opportunity to have the best day of your life can be had if the weather and water conditions allow it. When planning a trip we have to deal with what ever we are dealt with . Each year, someone new decides to join us and most of the time, they come away with the best times of their lives. John
Gobi
200 series

Re: St. Clair get together

Post by Gobi »

Gotcha, Thanks for the lure list, I will gather my lures.

What is a 3.8 swimbait?
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Keitech swimbaits are salty but worth having enough just in case. There are others that work but its a good tool at times. If we start getting a bunch of fish on a hair jig, I can throw what you need in your boat. Janns Netcraft sells a really good swimbait and they are cheaper than the high dollar ones I mentioned. Page 63 of their catalog. Dominator swimming minnow and the JR. We use mostly the 3.5 early in the season and go to the bigger ones later in the early fall. Don't use them much in the summer. Mostly cold water period. My first cast this year will be with a 3.5 JR swimbait just as soon as I can launch my boat. If you buy the cheap ones from Netcraft, you won't need the Keitech's. John
waterflogger_no_more
200 series

Post by waterflogger_no_more »

John, I'm considering the St Clair trip but wondering if my 15-foot tri-hull Troller will be able to handle the water. I'm game to try it unless one of you guys experienced with that water advises me against it. I've read your posts about never being far from shore, so that will help. All of this depends on the weather, of course.

Harold
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

There are days you will be fine but then again, a NE wind can make it bad for everyone. We are protected pretty good from the west or NW. You can fish the river sometimes when the lake is rough but you never know what you are going to get. The good thing about this place is that it is the best smallmouth fishery in the world. It is still part of the Great Lakes and it can get rough for all of us. You always take that chance. If the wind is under 15 mph, we can usually handle it. John
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

I am excited, I am going to book hotels and find a place to store my boat for a few weeks so I can leave my boat there and drive home and go back again and fish.
Any suggestions on storage lots around there?

3.8 inches paddle tails, I need to look through my stash before ordering.
shibs - from GR, MI
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

The boat ramp is open! Saw this posting on Facebook. The locals call it The Alter launch.
Attachments
88434912_10156768159336073_2789688611459563520_n.jpg
88434912_10156768159336073_2789688611459563520_n.jpg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Lip ripper
200 series

Post by Lip ripper »

HEY YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY MILLERS MARINA FOR YOUR BOAT STORAGE. HEARED GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE PLACE PLUS ITS RIGHT BY DELPHI CHANNEL. LAUNCH YOUR BOAT AND GO.
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Danke!
I drove over to Miller Marina on Sunday and the place looks fantastic,
They only rent slips by the season, I have to ask again about the storage spot, they quoted me for the entire year for storage too :-). I spoke to a few fishermen there and all had good things to say about Miller.

They were catching perch from shore.
shibs - from GR, MI