Fishing Deep

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: Fishing Deep

Post by Fran Myers »

Steve,
You may have the warm water but you still have to think of the seasonal movements. At this time of year the migrating fish are on their way toward the headwaters in the main channel or way up in the bigger feeder creeks.

Something else that I remembered from the videos was that everything was covered in some kind of moss. Due to the clear water.
Wasn't Bucks deepest catch on Lake Mead. Something like 135 feet? Terry said he casted an SJ and got a bass.
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

"Wasn't Bucks deepest catch on Lake Mead. Something like 135 feet? Terry said he casted an SJ and got a bass."

I believe you are correct.

"Something else that I remembered from the videos was that everything was covered in some kind of moss. Due to the clear water."

Some lakes are mossy. Some are not. Roosevelt has moss down to 24-25 feet. Apache has moss in the lower portions of the Res.
I usually dont have a problem running in the moss, as i learned to adjust line length early on, in the Florida muck.

"At this time of year the migrating fish are on their way toward the headwaters in the main channel or way up in the bigger feeder creeks."

I understand this. Phil was saying he caught the bass. I guess I am assuming he meant LM and SM bass. Maybe he meant the Stripers. He will have to clarify this for us.

I think this thread is turning into a great one. I know there are more guys out there with many questions. I wish they would ask them. Just look at all the views of this thread. Yet very few replies or comments. Come on all you lurkers out there. In life, there is no such thing as a stupid or dumb question. Lets get some more questions so we can all learn together, as it should be.
Iron sharpening iron.
I am planning on attending the Ill Seminar, as I believe it is one of the finest learning tools we have right now. This site can be just as good, if not better. But we need people to partisipate.
This is how we learn, this is how you and I get better.
As the Good Book says, " we dont have, because we dont ask!"

If you are one that doesnt want to be known and still would like to ask a question of these great instructors on here, send me your question via PM or email and I will ask it on here for you. That way you can help us all learn.

I will be gone on a trip to Indiana starting Wednesday, but will be checking in here as much as possible. Please keep this thing going.
Thanks
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Steve,
The feeder coves I described on Lake Norfork were similar to Buck’s teaching (lake within the lake). They are large in nature, on occasion have color due to run off and has most of the dirt (sand and clay) in a reservoir that is rock dominate. The bass located in these areas were mainly LM and SM, but we did contact the ocean striper on occasion.
Phil
Phil
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Thanks Phil,
I thought that was what you meant, but wanted to make sure.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Does anyone else agree. I looked at lake norfork on navionics I see it is a bit long and narrow looking like a highland type. But man there is lots of long bars in this lake more like what u find in a lowland. Didn't think I would see this good of structure in a true highland type.
David Powell