Spoonplug sizes & Colors

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
bkzkm

Spoonplug sizes & Colors

Post by bkzkm »

Hello Everyone,
I’m just starting my Spoonplugger journey thanks to the available video work from Buck Perry, Jim Shell, Jim Duplex, Don Dickson and the enthusiasm from the many forum and video comments from you all. I’ve got my order placed for Buck Perry's Guidelines for Fishing Success, acquired a couple dozen spoonplugs (loosing half of contour mapping), and telling my wife I need another boat.

I intellectually understand that the home of the fish is deep water, that depending on conditions the fish may move up starting from the deepest water in the area through a contact point and along breaks and break lines for brief periods of time and that depth & speed control is most important. As is usual, the more I learn, the more questions come to mind. I plan on studying over the winter to prepare for my much anticipated practice on the water. In the meantime, I need to make decisions on what specific tackle, boat and gear to purchase. Your feedback is important to me. Thanks in advance!

Currently, I fish for bass on Big Green Lake in WI, Pine and Stone lakes in IN, Lake Bloomington and Evergreen Lake in IL, Bull Shoals Lake in MO/ARK; Lake Michigan out of Michigan City for Coho, Steelhead and the growing number of Walleye.

Buck’s Baits offers 73 different color spoonplugs. Considering my limited budget, what do you recommend for color, sizes and quantities? I remember reading Buck chose brass and nickel for his all purpose selections and others mentioning 200s and 100s are the most used sizes.

Taken from old adds - your thoughts?
Bright day / Clear water:
70’s ad - Nickel, Brass, Red & White
80’s ad - Fathead Minnow added to list.

Neutral (bright or dark conditions):
70’s ad - Winnebago Yellow
80’s ad - Frog added to list

Dark day / Dark water:
70’s ad - Chartreuse, Fluorescent Red, Crawfish, Yellow Perch, Winnebago Yellow
80’s ad - Waterdog, Frog added to list

Troll with/without hooks when structure mapping?
Double or Treble Belly hooks?
Upgrade hooks?

Looking forward to joining your ranks.
Thanks, Brian Moore
John Bales
JB2

Re: Lets try another

Post by John Bales »

Do not place much thought on colors. Buy the pretty ones you like and you will have confidence that they will catch a fish. We all have our favorites. I like the ones with the sharpest hooks. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Lets try another

Post by Steve Craig »

First.....welcome to the board Brian.

There is only one color to use.......Don Nichols Yellow!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Only kidding.
I just use what ever color is on top of the pile in my box. But I do go by Bucks Hand Rule of Light color for light conditions, Dark for Dark, and then just use Yellow most of the time.

Color use to be important to me, but not anymore. What is more important is Mapping out the Structure, and then putting the lure right in the fishes face(Depth Control) and moving the lure fast or slow enough for the fish to take the lure. (Speed Control)

Just buy whatever color lure that gives YOU confindence in your fishing. Dont get "hooked" on putting color ahead of the other controls.

"""Troll with/without hooks when structure mapping?"""
Why would you want to fish without hooks???

Your mapping can and should be done with out a lure in the water. Use your depth finder. It speeds up the process and saves hours of time on the water. Then DRAW your map on paper. This is what speeds up the learning process.Once you get your map made, then start the "fishing" process/procedure. Start in the shallows and stain all water out to as deep as you can go and still keep the lures bumping.

100's and 200's being used most??
Maybe, but what if the fish are at 17 to 25 feet or deeper? Even a 100 would be no good here. Have a good supply of all sizes.
Get you a good trolling reel, Nobo, and a good Trolling rod from Bucks Baits and start there.
Start with the Basics and go from there. STUDY the Green Book!!!! Dont just read it.

If you are looking to get a Light Year ahead in your learning, then book a trip with John Bales, Jerry Borst, or one of the other Spoonplugging Instructors. Money well spent.
FWIW
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Re: Spoonplug sizes & Colors

Post by John Bales »

Perfectly said!!!!!! John
bkzkm

Re: Spoonplug sizes & Colors

Post by bkzkm »

Thank you, John & Steve.

Got it!
Understanding and focusing on the implications of depth & speed is paramount. Color not so much.

I’ll take your advice. It’s quite an exciting time for me. Such possibilities and opportunities to fish in a more productive manner and to get to know diehard fishermen such as yourselves along the way. Glad I’ve got the winter to study Buck’s Guidelines for Fishing Success to prepare for my March trip to Bull Shoals and beyond.