End of a Hole

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
charliesm48

End of a Hole

Post by charliesm48 »

I have a question to ask the group. We all know the end of a deeper hole is important in river fishing. But I need better understanding of the subject in natural lakes. John Bales has mentioned end of holes before being an important structure situation. So what defines the end of a hole? When depths reach 8-10''?

To put this into perspective, I fish a shallow lake, about 80 acres with a maximum depth of 17'. The weedline, which consists of thick grass growing 4-6' upward from the bottom, is the only thing you could describe as a breakline for the majority of the lake. I've caught two muskies in this lake at approximately the same spot, one 37" and the other 46". In trying to figure our why the fish were there, the only thing I can come up with is that the spot is near the end of the hole. There's a gentle turn at the 12' depth where the fish have been caught, but I wouldn't call it a bar. And it goes to a shallow flat.

So what has been your experiences with this situation? And specifically for John Bales, is the similar to the area you described on your home lake where you catch big bass and pike? You said it's not a place with many features. All responses are appreciated. Thank you

Charlie
John Bales
JB2

Re: End of a Hole

Post by John Bales »

For those that are part of the National, I have written an article about how Mr. Perry states that any time we catch a fish, it will be either on a break or a breakline. I take you on a trip around my 160 acre home lake and we talk about every major break (turn) on the weedline that is productive. Deb and I went to upper Michigan a couple of weeks ago for a few days. The biggest smallmouth of the trip which she caught, was caught from a little point on the weedline at 21 feet which broke 2 feet and had a major turn back towards the shore. Some breaklines break very sharp and are easily identified . Others can be so slight of a turn or break that they are hardly seen(but you do see it). If those kind of breaks are all that are available to the fish, it will look like a mountain to them. The end of a hole is nothing more than another break or turn which is just another place a fish can pause and stop and a spot where you and I can catch them. You should not question that it is only a turn on the weedline or breakline and Mr. Perry said that this is a place you and I could make contact with the fish. It is easy to over think why they are there. I do the same thing myself. John
charliesm48

Re: End of a Hole

Post by charliesm48 »

Thanks for the great reply John