Mapping & Interpretaton Part 12

Steve Craig
JB2

Mapping & Interpretaton Part 12

Post by Steve Craig »

EXCELLENT VIDEO!!!

Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Re: Mapping & Interpretaton Part 12

Post by John Bales »

It is really a great teaching video. Look at the depths of the breaklines. Add heavy current and a different control of lures to take care of deep less active fish. Wheat do you get out of a bunch of average students? You get failure. Not due to the teacher but due to the ability of the students to do it. My worse students were some of the ones who took this class. It took me a while to figure this out. All of Dons video's were re- watched from start to finish to try and figure out why. The bottom line was no fault of the teacher but the fault of the student who was not prepared to do some of the simplest of tasks on the shallow stuff. Terry O'malley told me that he found a couple of the guys that attended this class out in the middle of the lake basin on the Fox chain of lakes doing the river rig. When Terry asked them what they were doing out there, they said that it worked up there, it should be the same here.
Don's way of identifying breaklines and follow them around the feature is the best and quickest way to map a structure . The final passes out off the fingers will give the final answer. I put many students in control of the tiller and ask them to perform this task. Most of the time they will start out fine and then you can start to see panic and complete confusion. The next guy you ask to do the same will get it in short order or at least grasp the process good enough that you know he will eventually get there. There is something about being able to get a mental picture of what you are doing and keeping track of direction and some just have trouble.
I was around Buck enough to hear questions from students about deep water or deep breaklines and he would not talk about it much or him haw around the question. If he felt like you were ready to go there, he would give you an answer in great detail and it would be good for you to listen. The bottom line about the learning is that it is difficult for most to become efficient at the shallow to mid depth let alone a depth deeper than 20 feet. Buck knew this and keeping a fisherman frustrated didn't sell spoonplugs.
The effort that it takes to become a good spoonplugger takes more discipline than any other way of catching a fish. You must be able to follow directions and stick with it. When someone does that, the success comes and there is no problem getting that fisherman to work even harder. Once you get it, you got it forever. Great video. John
mjpukacz
500 series

Post by mjpukacz »

Don

Great session. a few questions.

Is the saddle like a dam. The fish will not go over.

Did you only fish the upstream part of the saddle. Not many x's on the downstream side.

When you fished upstream toward the train trussle the current was behind you. On the river I thought it was easier to troll into the current. You said the river flowed North.

Did the rock pile produce any fish. It looked like a good bar.

Mike Pukacz
GDS

Post by GDS »

Wow, good memories of Manaki, Manitoba!