Crappie on the menu...

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
pat maio

Crappie on the menu...

Post by pat maio »

I see Harry has added Crappie onto his hand written menu --complete with food stains of past dinners.
Douglas talks about crappie a lot lately. I've never fished for them and I don't know if this res holds more than a token few. My question---
how do they taste when compared to walleye???
Douglas, you mention them so what's your take?
DouglasBush

taste contest

Post by DouglasBush »

I dont think anything beats those walleye sandwiches you can get in Minneapolis.
The crappie tastes excellent to me,however, as long as you cook the smaller ones. Fillet them out with no bones, just like filleting a bass.
"She who is to be feared" had her son and his teenaged kids over tonight for dinner and I cooked up 60 fillets, she sauteed squash. I did the corn on the cob and made the hot biscuits. We stuffed like piggies.
You should check out that crappie fishing, Pat. Using ultralight rod & reel, 4 pound test, 1/64 ounce jigheads, and 1 inch grubs, and you're in business. Easy fishing too. Find trees and targets and throw at them..like the bass pros do when they're fishing for bass. Bluegills will eat those grubs up also...I am partial to the 1.5 inch Panfish Assassin in the black shad color.
You will find out that crappie are a lot more color conscious than the bass...so be ready to change grubs a lot. Thats not Doug preaching...that comes straight from the mouth of Buck. I will write on some of those conversations one day...crappie fishing and also the "light line" business and WHY it makes some species hit better.
It gets tougher in the winter when they bunch up in the channels but with the depthfinder and the cam, its easy to find them at the side feeder cuts and ditches. Then its straight down under the boat, tight lining for them with either the tiny grub thing or a minnow.
Try it man...it sure beats all day plowing trenches in the bottom with that "busted shoehorn" when the big ones have lockjaw.
Regards,
Douglas
pat maio

Douglas

Post by pat maio »

Thanks for that invaluable info on crappie fishing. I have a couple of grandaughters that love to catch fish and love to eat them even more. I don't think I've ever caught one. Time to drag the unltralight out of mothballs.
Thanks again, my interest is piqued.
pat
Bart

Post by Bart »

Pat,

Once you catch a mess of slabs it's hard to back to anything else. My grandfather used to take me all the time. Used to use the double two hook live minnow rig. It was killer when we found them. One right after another. I remember one time that they would hit anything. Started throwing a big shad color crankbait. The bites were far between but they were all over a pound. Sum of the best vittles I've ever had, course I've never had walleyes. I hear those are lip smacking!

Douglas,

Have you ever fished Wheeler Lake in Alabama? My aunt lives on that lake and that's where I grew up fishing. Lot of memories there.
DouglasBush

Wheeler Lake

Post by DouglasBush »

Bart,
I have never fished it but I have seen the slabs that come out of there. Fantastic fish!!!
You were lucky to fish it growing up
Regards,
Douglas
Bart

Post by Bart »

Douglas,

My avatar is of my son (Tucker) he's now 8. When he was 4 I took him to my aunt's and he got to catch his first fish the same place I caught my first fish. Great memories.