Master class in Picture taking!

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
site admin
Site Admin

Master class in Picture taking!

Post by site admin »

HAHAHAHA!!!
Attachments
21149951_925044257648491_8434408173360525849_n.jpg
21149951_925044257648491_8434408173360525849_n.jpg (47.64 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Master class in Picture taking!

Post by Steve Craig »

LOL!
I learned my lesson many years ago. Got chewed out by Buck himself over a 5# fish that i tried to make look bigger!
That was way back in 79 or so! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Again, in order not to cover Steve's last post I would like to comment on Dons talk on roadbeds. This guy is a very good teacher. He says all the right things it seems. The story he told about taking the writer was fantastic. His observations of the shoreline terrain came from his experiences on the water. There it is again, time on the water. Everything he did was from the study material. Its in there, he read it, he did it, he got results. You want results, do the same. Really good stuff. John
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

John Bales wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 am Again, in order not to cover Steve's last post I would like to comment on Dons talk on roadbeds. This guy is a very good teacher. He says all the right things it seems. The story he told about taking the writer was fantastic. His observations of the shoreline terrain came from his experiences on the water. There it is again, time on the water. Everything he did was from the study material. Its in there, he read it, he did it, he got results. You want results, do the same. Really good stuff. John
John
By posting a comment to a post you are not “covering up a post”. The way Internet forums work is someone post something and then other people comment and leave their ideas or questions as comments. Then others can help anwesrer questions and learn.
The people that really need to see your post will not find your comments/thoughts/explanations/experiences if you post them on another post that’s not related to what your commenting on.
We need all the activitie we can get on this forum but if people can’t find what their looking for it’s not helping the people that need it the most.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

John you made an excellent observation about Don Dickson and his videos. Don does his Spoonplugging By The Book. Period. The book being the “Green Book”.

First time I was in the boat with Terry O’Malley, the first thing I noticed was that he did everything by the Book. The very same thing happened with Tommy Ferencek. The very same thing happened with John Bales. All great/good Spoonpluggers go about their fishing by the “Book”.

If there is a secret about Spoonplugging, no secret because the instructions are clearly stated in the “Green Book”, is to go about our fishing in an orderly and precise manner.

Mr Perry wrote what he expected us to do to be a successful Spoonplugger. The process does take time and effort. The results are worth all the work and study.

Good Fishing

TN Dave
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

David, The green book is just the basics of what we NEED to know . There is so so so much more. Like for instance, I was with a guy on lake Erie that showed me that the smallmouth are not always on the bottom. I could not accept this right away because the book told me to always keep my lures either on the bottom or as close as I can. The exceptions to the written rules , plus the other things to learn that are not in the book can only be learned by being on the water. Do you remember that day David? I am sure that the look on my face would have been priceless the first part of that day. It was that WTF look. John
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

:mrgreen: John

That was a real day of fishing Lake Erie. The fish were in the Shallows. Mr. Perry’s guideline is that the shallows is the depth of water from the shoreline to the 8’ to 10’ depth. Deep water is from there to whatever the deep water is in the water being fished.

The smallmouth were up in the water column and active for that time of year (pre-spawn). They were readily taking the suspended lure, in this instance, a Lucky Craft Pointer 100. (Speed for trolling Spoonplugs was to fast)

First trip it happened to me I couldn’t understand what was going on. The smallmouth were taking a free running lure. Speed Control was on the slow side with pauses on the troll. Got the old “Green Book” out and there was the answer in the diagram about the presentation of lures.
Smallmouth, especially, will take a free running lure in the shallows to the 8’ to 10’ depth.

Conversation with Terry O’Malley helped me to increase my understanding. The smallmouth were in the shallows and active and up in the water column. It was a new experience for you and me; old stuff to Terry. We were using Spoonplugging knowledge to make the catch that day.Good old Speed and Depth Control. Of course there was the reminder that as soon as that time of year was over, the fish move out of the shallows and we have to start using our bottom bumping lures in the deep water.

Really enjoyed the fishing and the company that trip!! Those kind of fishing days make for lifetime memories.

Good Fishing

TN Dave

PS: See the “Green Book”, page #107, Figure 37, and continued onto page #108.