“Green Book”

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
TN Dave
100 series

“Green Book”

Post by TN Dave »

Finished spending some long over due time studying the “Green Book” (SPOONPLUGGING: Your Guide to Lunker Catches). The information in the book is priceless. Mr. Perry writes extremely well and does not waste
words or our time with the fluff you and I can find in the fishing/outdoor type magazines. (See the current “In Fisherman” magazine. What is power fishing and grinding for walleyes??)

Every time I read the “Green Book “ I find several things that I either overlooked or they simply didn’t register due to lack of experience while on the water. As “Buck Sez” we must study the book; it really is a text book. When we have studied the “Green Book” we can move onto the the expanded “Home Study Course”.

After I finished the study I was reminded of an observation from Terry O’Malley about the self proclaimed fishing experts who have said that they have taken fishing beyond the work of Buck Perry’s. Does not happen!
All the fishing knowledge is in the “Green Book”.

Most of us have seen another similar situation where a Spoonplugger starts having some fishing success and starts giving himself credit for taking fishing beyond the Spoonplugging Guidelines. Does not happen in this case either.

Successful fishing occurs when we, as Spoonpluggers, use Mapping and Interpretation to find Structure Breaks and Breaklines that fish use in their Movements and Migration. Then we can effectively present our lures with the proper Speed and Depth control.

The more time that each and everyone of us can spend on the water; the more efficient and effective we become in the Spoonplugging discipline. If we haven’t been on the water in sometime (like me); we have to start all over again by trolling the shallows to get our skill level built back up. Thankfully the skill does return although it make take a few trips to get back to the level we like to have. Better yet schedule a training session with John Bales or one of the other Certified Spoonplugging Instructors and really get up to the skill level needed.

Final thoughts: Now is the best time to get the “Green Book” out and find out what skills need to be improved.
Do not be misled by the so called fishing experts. “Knowledge is the Key to successful fishing”. Buck Perry.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: “Green Book”

Post by Steve Craig »

Excellent post David.
You are right on
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!