Pre fronts Post fronts

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Hal Standish
700 series

Pre fronts Post fronts

Post by Hal Standish »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzR1rXc_gWU
Recently viewed Jim Shell's work shop on youtube concerning Weather conditions, very informative. In my previous life I spent 30 yrs working outside on a year round basis here in Michigan. Weather details were always factor in the dog training business.Here in SW Michigan cold fronts roll thru literally 2-3 times per week. In the video workshop Jim explained fish migration Before, During, and after a cold front. Since I started on my journey of Spoon plugging, I have very little time to work on the water,but have had a renewed interest in Weather patterns.. Jim's workshop explained frontal conditions out as far 7 days after the front had passed thru.
My question is what would we expect fish movements to be when fronts are coming thru every 48-72 hours? Would the fish just stay in their sanctuary home ? The plan is to begin mapping one of lakes Saturday, 2 days post frontal
Thanks
Hal Standish
Three Rivers Mi
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Pre fronts Post fronts

Post by Steve Craig »

Hal,
As Buck says, fish can adapt quite well to any changes in their environment.
The problem is that they have alot of trouble adapting to a CHANGING situation.

When the fronts roll through ever 2-3 days, this becomes a CHANGING situation. Their reaction?
They go downstairs, where things are STABLE.
So after the 3rd day, they begin a movement, they find another front hits, so their reaction is to simply stay put. They will still become ACTIVE, even at Sanctuary depths, but dont expect much in the way of a migration.

If you know where the CONTACT point is on a structure, you can expect to catch a couple fish there during the day. A couple will stick their noses up to that spot, but dont expect the entire school to do this. Your lure presentation needs to right on the money.

This is what has been happening here in AZ over the past few weeks. You would think I was living back in Indiana instead of AZ with all these wet and dry front moving through every few days.

The one good thing about it. I get to learn more about each structure I have on the lakes here. This is why Buck always said that a BAD day of fishing will teach you more than a day when you load the boat.

Once we get those great 4-7 days between fronts (Midwest), we can make some great catches. Everything is STABLE, for the fish, that is.

It was snowing here at my house this morning and it has only been 3 days since the last front went through.

Our normal is we get WEEKS, between fronts here sometime. So this is some unusual weather patterns for here.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

<t>Hal,<br/>
I live in Southeast Wisconsin. Very similar weather situation. As you know, once summer comes along we do get several days between fronts sometimes. Also, the intensity of each front weighs in on the reaction of the fish. The textbook model Jim and Buck give is a full blown change from stable weathe; hazy skies, humid air (read high moisture content air), and typically low winds, to a full force cold front. With the passing of this major front you will see bluebird skies (Carl Malz sky) and high winds.<br/>
Thankfully, most fronts are less severe than the textbook model. With multiple minor fronts moving through, fish are less affected and some movements can occur. <br/>
Also, fish that have moved during stable conditions, will leave us some stragglers to keep us engaged. We can make a great catch over the course of a day If we follow the guidelines.<br/>
If you look at what the top guys here do; John Bales, Jim Shell, Jim Duplex, Jerry Borst, and so many others; they get on the water whenever they can. We have no control over weather and water conditions, so we just go.<br/>
On the flip side, if you have a significant fishing trip planned that is going to cost you valuable time and money, like trip to a distant body of water, and you know the conditions are crap, cancel and reschedule. Jim Jerry did exactly that a couple of years ago for a Musky trip for the Structure Fishing show. <br/>
Bottom line is; Get out when you can and make the best of it. If the fish are not cooperating, map a structure and practice your presentations, you'll be surprised by the catches you make while learning.<br/>
Dennis</t>
D-wayne
200 series

Post by D-wayne »

I just love the line of "get out when you can".
Funny how fast procrastinators jump to excuses for why they shouldn't get out.
Like Michigan here in North West NY & Eastrrn Ontario frontal changes are almost daily, some years are worse than others. If fish did not move or feed during weather fronts they would starve.
There is something to that Higherachie of needs that plays an important role in the world.
We all (as in all life forms) will forgo safety for food,, and at times in our lives we will forget about food and safety for reproduction.
As focused on the fishing realm we see times when fish spend extended periods of time in the shallows totally exposed to the predators because of food or fornication.
My point to all of this is to agree with the statement of " just get out when you can."
If I had to wait for stable weather before I got out there would be some years that I would not be able to get out.
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

D-wayne,
"We all (as in all life forms) will forgo safety for food,, and at times in our lives we will forget about food and safety for reproduction."
I know this applies to me for sure in my late teens and early twenties. But I always "hoped", that like a hybrid musky, it was a faux spawn.
Dennis
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

2 days post front has always been the toughest days on my waters, so I'd expect limited movement and stragglers...but I'll take a different tact and just refer to one of Buck's great articles.
You and I shouldn't particularly care if the fish are under "good" or "bad" conditions. In fact, we really can't interpret the situation that well. We can use our knowledge of weather and water conditions to help us know what to expect. But, in any body of water, at any time, there are simply too many variables in temperature, oxygen, color, food, light,etc., for us to say what the conditions might be - good or bad. By using structure (breaks and breaklines) as our guide, and by controlling our depth and speed, we shouldn't care if the fish has a so-called bellyache, feels good, dormant, or is up raring to go. I'd hate to think we couldn't control our presentation of lures to take care of all the variables in weather and water conditions.

You and I never know for sure what the ACTUAL conditions may be when we go fishing; nor, at what depth, or how dormant the fish might be. But, what difference does it really make - so long as we use structure (breaks and breaklines) as our guide, and check thoroughly the depths and speeds?
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Brian,
As always, great reference. Buck nailed it.
To me, Bottom line is, follow the Guidelines, get out there any time you can, and take what God gives you. I personally have caught so many fish while mapping/ interpreting a structure that I think I should just go about my fishing that way.
Gotta Love Buck!
Dennis
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Like Brian posted......
Buck always has it covered.

"" If fish did not move or feed during weather fronts they would starve. ""

Not according to what Buck teaches.
Buck says: " fish can feed at any depth". "they dont migrate to feed". "although we can expect some feeding to be associated with the movement, they dont move to feed."

Buck made these statements many times in the material. Green Book, Home Study Course, the Blue Book Teaching
Series, and during several of the Jamboree's in Tenn. that Chase filmed.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks Spoonpluggers, your the best! Tight lines for every one. Today is the 1st day on the water for me this year. Shake down for some changes I have made to the boat and time for some mapping.
Hal Standish
Three Rivers, Mi
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Lots of great answers from everyone. Steve keeps his guidelines by the book which will keep you out or trouble. There are always exceptions and conditions we cannot see or completely understand. Do not let a post frontal condition keep you from going fishing. Some of the best days we have ever had came from post frontal conditions when you did not expect to catch a single fish.
I also agree with Brian, during the heat of the summer, the second day after a front can be the worst. Over the last couple of weeks, I have made a few good catches. The best days were the sunny days and the worst were those with cloud cover. I have personally heard Mr. Perry say that in the early season, we need the sun to warm things up and get them going. We can never predict the outcome of a day on the water. It is up to us to take all things(guidelines) into consideration and use depth and speed to find the fish. Thats all we can do.
The guy I was fishing with made the comment that our catch was outstanding considering the water temps were only 41 degrees. He could not believe the fish were that catchable. I told him to look at those fat fish and it is obvious that they are feeding somewhere every day or they wouldnt look like that. There is something to learn each and every time out. Since I have retired, I try to fish as often as I can and every single day is a little different. This past weekend, the fish moved on saturday the best between 1 in the afternoon for about an hour. The very next day we hit them at 9:30 am and there was no weather change. If I had waited till noon on the second day , we might have missed them. Like Jim Duplex always says, you need to be out there and that is the only way to get any answer you may have.
Buck Perry was correct on everything that he wrote, but even in his writings he says that there is so much more to learn. He said very little about spring time fishing. He told Terry that anybody can catch the fish when they are in pre spawn and spawn so he spent little time on it. Spoonplugging is just the basics of what is out there to learn and it is by far the best foundation to learn the rest. I once heard a spoonplugger make a comment as the season was heading towards the hotter part of the year. He said that this is about to be our time of the year. Why not learn to catch a fish in all seasons so every day is our time. Made no sence even though I knew what he meant.
When I get the pics of sunday sent to me, I will post them with the story behind the catch. The catch came from the lake I live on and for 13 years, I have not made a catch like it. There is a reason and you will enjoy the story. I am enjoying it a lot. John
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

We were talking about pre frontal conditions and I said not to stay at home just because of that. Look at the sky conditions in the pictures of the bass I posted. Look what you would have missed if you had stayed at home. Just a thought. John