New to Forum

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
SpoonBoy21

New to Forum

Post by SpoonBoy21 »

Greetings to All,
I am new to this forum. I came across the "Green Book" earlier this year. My wife and I were having breakfast with some friends at a Perkins
when we noticed a flee market across the street at an American Legion. We went to it and my wife's friend bought a whole box full of
cookbooks for 5 bucks. In it she found the Buck Perry Book and asked if I would like it. I said sure mainly out of a friendly gesture as the book
looked too old to be of any current interest to me. I started reading it and couldn't hardly put it down. It really gave me many new insights on fishing.
I have bought several used spoon plugs off of ebay and also from Bucks Baits. I think I have somewhere around 15 or so spoonplugs now. I have been out aprox. 5 times with these lures and always catch something. Yesterday I caught 4 northerns on the plugs, the brassy ones were the ticket. The fish were 4.5 to 5.5 lbs (25 - 27 inches) Not real big, but I'm working on it. My boat does have the console, but I like it and it will stay. I tried my old
bait caster a Diawa Millionaire and remember again why I put it away. I troll with the spoons, and stop or anchor and cast. So, that is 2 of my bad habits, but will keep the console and spinning reel. I am trying to find some bass and walleys with these spoons, but lately it's been pretty much
northerns.

I've rambled on enough for now,
Sincerely Brian of Southern Minnesota
John Bales
JB2

Re: New to Forum

Post by John Bales »

Brian, Been doing this since 1972. That's a long long time. That guy who wrote the book knows what it takes to be a great fisherman. You don't understand right now but a tiller driven boat is important to have. You can keep the steering wheel as long as you want but some day when you get some experience under your belt, you will see that he was right. You have already caught more fish than some guys have on your first few tries. You must be putting in some good effort to be catching a few fish this fast. Keep up the good work and keep going back and re-study and it will start to come together. John
SpoonBoy21

Post by SpoonBoy21 »

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. All my friends are walleye fisherman who always needle me about the wheel. I do a lot of casting and reeling
when I come upon good spots. I have had a tiller boat in the past, but when fishing alone, the boat is better balanced with me in the center.
Also I'm away from the engine noise, and if I have others fishing with me they are not blocking my view. I fully understand that boat control
is more responsive with the tiller. I have had much fun with the spoons, and will continue.

Thanks again for your reply, and I know you're right! Brian
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Welcome Brian, from another Brian. Glad to hear of your early success. It is a powerful motivator, so keep at it as things keep getting better as you gain more knowledge and time on the water.
SpoonBoy21

Post by SpoonBoy21 »

Thanks Brian,
I'll keep you posted with my spoon plugging. I'm anxious to get out again. Most of my spoon plugging was right after a cold front, so
I was surprised in what I caught. In most cases I had started fishing shoreline waters that I know are good during warm front periods.
With no success there, I moved out with the spoons. It is very nice having other avenues to pursue.
Thanks, Brian