What type of reservoir am I?

site admin
Site Admin

What type of reservoir am I?

Post by site admin »

A follow up from the last breakline club meeting... What type of reservoir is this?
Attachments
lake norman.JPG
lake norman.JPG (892.42 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
Sonny
200 series

Re: What type of reservoir am I?

Post by Sonny »

Not sure, but i will give it a shot! Highland 2 ?

Sonny
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

I agree with Sonny; Highland Type 2. Lake is spread out, large coves, islands, rounded points, deep water near the shoreline. NC boys should recognize this lake.
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

It looks like most all structures go to the channel. Based on that this is a LOWLAND 1.
But thats my opinion, and I've known to have been wrong sometimes!
Anyone else have a thought?
Sonny
200 series

Post by Sonny »

I thought that lowland 1 reservoirs were built in low lands that are spread out with the deepest water in the channel? This one seems to have deep channels and islands a distance away from the channel. But the map is really small on my computer, and i do not have this type of system in my area.
Just trying to remember the info from the tapes. Thanks
Sonny
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

My immediate first thought was 'Highland' but after researching it a bit more, I can see the argument for Lowland. The high elevation mountain lakes are all in the far western portion of the state, whereas this is more centrally located. Additionally, all the aerial images I looked at of the lake show very flat land all around the lake, almost no visible rock, and lots of dirt.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

It could be a Highland, with Lowland features.
Or it could be a Lowland, with some Highland features.
Either way, i would go to the Headwaters no matter what!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Sonny
200 series

Post by Sonny »

After googling lake Norman, i see it cannot be a highland type. It obviously is not mountainous terrain. In fact after looking with my magnifying glass
and seeing the photos from google, it does appear to be a lowland type 1. Thanks for the tip on using the computer to check it out team9nine.

Sonny
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

I never fished a "true" lowland 1, lake Norman looks like it would be a great lake for a spoonplugger. Plenty of structure, and nearly all the bars are ridge like and go to the deep water. it looks like a lot of reservoirs in that part of the country are lowland type. I'm going to make it a point to fish some lowlands this summer, and eventually will try to fish all the other types. In researching reservoirs for the breakline meeting, looks like there are very few lowland 3's out there. The most common seem to be the flatland 2's. It was interesting to see that Don Dickson added an additional lowland classification, adding the flood plain reservoirs that have lots of delta's as a lowland.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Fished Norman when we went to an outing in NC. Caught a lot of fish but no one caught anything very big but a lot of fish. O'Malley's best spot is towards the headwaters. A bar under a bridge. Imagine that. I would be right behind Steve heading towards the upper end also. There was a great catch of stripers made there by Terry and the preacher he used to fish with. If you all know Terry, you aren't going to get him on the water earlier than 9-10 am. Not going to happen. One day the preacher called Terry and told him that the lord told him where the stripers were going to be. The only problem was that he also told him he needed to be there shortly after day light. Terry finally agreed and they were on the water early that day. Not long after they made a few passes, here they came. One striper after another. When it was all over, the preacher asked Terry what his thoughts were about the lord telling him about the fish? Terry said you should ask him every time we go and it will sure save us a hell of a lot of wasted time. True story. John
CHAMP
700 series

Post by CHAMP »

Lake norman is a lowland lake .I have fished it maybe 6 times have taken largemouth up to 5 lbs. but you will mostly catch spotted bass up to about 2.0-2 1/2 labs. It has all kinds of good structure mostly bars/humps . Water color is usually ok but have seen it to muddy and also to clear. The big bass tour usually stops here every year ,most time a 6-6 1/2 lb. bass will win
David Powell