Weeds and speices

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
djerdly

Weeds and speices

Post by djerdly »

Ok i wanna hear all the good opinions and or facts about weeds and how different types of fish relate to them in different seasons. Walleye inside outside weedline..??? I think you guys might get an idea of where i am going on this. Also the lake type will determine wheather or not the fish use different types of weeds
Thanks David
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

David,
I'm not exactly sure when you say " how different types of fish relate to weeds in different seasons". I have not seen that. Do fish move to the weedline under good weather and water condition at different time of the year? yes.

I try and treat all species the same. However at times I hear guys call "cabbage" the muskie weed, or something.... :roll: I can see if a good movement would occur some fish may get back in a ways with a weed that grows with less density or not to the surface.

The way I believe Buck teaches and what I have seen is just as he says. When a migration occurs the weedline becomes the scatter point and rarely will we ever see a big school of big fish ever get this far. If the weedline is deeper that 8'-10' then it becomes the scatter point, if the weeds only run out to 4' then the scatter point is 8'-10'.

If a lake has a inside weed line the prespawn time would be a good time to check it.
Jerry Borst
djerdly

weedline

Post by djerdly »

I just remember somone in our northern indiana club telling everyone that they made a great catch of walleye on the inside weedline in a lake in the middle of the summer and i belive not certain but, i thought he said it was in the day time.... This brings the question to me how does one go about catching walleye if they can;t get them on the outside weedline and there is a nonexistant inside weedline or one that is about 3 ft. deep.

A couple of years ago i help the dnr shock walleye on Sylvain Lake in Indiana. I was a witness to a little over one hundred walleye caught scaled and released these fish were all of legal size with the biggest fish up to 21inches. Now how is it that i have only caught one walleye there and that was with a silver buddy off of a weed point that extends from the riprap. Basically from the dnr studies the walleye were all caught around the oposite end of the lake and nearest to the deep water and the eyes were caught in less than 4 ft. of water. How do i get these eyes, i am at a point where i just cant get em" never really had the problem before. Explain how the so called easiest fish to catch is giving me all of these problems. I realize that fishing pressure water color depth and seasonal weather all plays a part but, dang i am lost.
Thanks Dave
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

David,
As long as you are part of that IN club you are not lost!

1st you know the lake has some fish, 2nd we know that all fish get active on an average fishing day. They could move at 2am and never get shallower than 60' or 4pm and go all the way to an inside weedline, no one knows. 3rd it's our job to find them where (depth) & "when" they get active.

The problem we all have in the begining is going out with a preconcieved idea of where and when we "think" the fish might move,, and this is a mistake! Only after we have located fish on day one, and if the weather remains the same could we "posibably" be on to something for day two.

Many of us have seen where for days at a time and sometimes even weeks at a time the walleye, pike, strippers ect. have moved at the exact same time and remain on the same structure, and then all of the sudden there gone and we are back to square one. Finding them when they get active is indeed the hardest part.

The walleye may be a fish that is not as effected by the weather and water condotions as the bass, However the walleye, pike, stripper, and muskie could show up in many areas of the reservoir.

No one has ever said any fish was eazy to catch :shock: they all take a lot of work! Sure Terry O'Malley and John Bales might make it look eazy but just think about how much time they have spent on the water, how many lakes they have fished, how many maps they have drawn, tons! Just think of the $$ they have spent to get to where they are. I hope I'm not scarring you...

What we have here is an ongoing learning oportunity. It's not eazy but it is worth it!! ;-)
djerdly

fishing

Post by djerdly »

Have you been to the northern indiana outting in the past two years? I was just wondering if i have met you before. Here is another question for you what kind and where is your favorite place to fish? Exclude the GREAT LAKES b.c. i know that place is awsome. :lol:
What is your fav. lake in Indiana?
Thanks im just curious
David