Pen 109 Reel

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Bill Patterson

Line holder

Post by Bill Patterson »

Hi Garry, The plastic reel is about 15" high and is in the electrical dept. Usually used to hold extension cords. That's all it is. I only use this because of the 1/4 inch line I use (don't want to lose that plug knocker after all the time and money I put into it). Jerry's idea is a lot more handy...so long as the knocker doesn't get hung, itself, and the line doesn't break. I'd give Jerry's idea a try. The reel is $5-6. I'll be trying to hold my line reel down with my foot--or have it attached to the boat. As people have mentioned before, if going back a little beyond your hung lure and shaking the lure doesn't free it, it's time for a plug knocker. You need to be directly over the hung lure when using the knocker. You should be able feel (and almost hear) when the knocker contacts the lure. Keep moving fishing line & knocker up & down until lure is snagged or knocked loose. In current and/or wind, this keeps both hands busy. Sometimes you just have to give up & break off. Always check your line for knicks, even if you get your line back. Yeah, I made that mistake once and broke off the lure very easily when I started trolling with it again. Had in the back of my mind that the line could be knicked, but didn't check. Oh, here's a ($5.00) tip: It's happened to me at least 4 times that the knocker pulled the spoonplug up, but my fishing line was still wrapped around something downstairs. Usually, you get your lure back and a wad of old fishing line. If this happens (and it eventually will) BE SURE to unsnap your lure and put it safely aside. Then close snap & try to reel it in. I've always gotten it back. At worst, you'll just lose a little line and a snap--but the lure is safely aboard. That was the first or two "OH NO"s that I got while training with Terry. It really is a $5-8 tip!!
I may get one of Jerry's neat knockers when he gets them finished. Will definitely pay for itself! Bill
Bill Patterson

Line holder

Post by Bill Patterson »

Hi Garry, The plastic reel is about 15" high and is in the electrical dept. Usually used to hold extension cords. That's all it is. I only use this because of the 1/4 inch line I use (don't want to lose that plug knocker after all the time and money I put into it). Jerry's idea is a lot more handy...so long as the knocker doesn't get hung, itself, and the line doesn't break. I'd give Jerry's idea a try. The reel is $5-6. I'll be trying to hold my line reel down with my foot--or have it attached to the boat. As people have mentioned before, if going back a little beyond your hung lure and shaking the lure doesn't free it, it's time for a plug knocker. You need to be directly over the hung lure when using the knocker. You should be able feel (and almost hear) when the knocker contacts the lure. Keep moving fishing line & knocker up & down until lure is snagged or knocked loose. In current and/or wind, this keeps both hands busy. Sometimes you just have to give up & break off. Always check your line for knicks, even if you get your line back. Yeah, I made that mistake once and broke off the lure very easily when I started trolling with it again. Had in the back of my mind that the line could be knicked, but didn't check. Oh, here's a ($5.00) tip: It's happened to me at least 4 times that the knocker pulled the spoonplug up, but my fishing line was still wrapped around something downstairs. Usually, you get your lure back and a wad of old fishing line. If this happens (and it eventually will) BE SURE to unsnap your lure and put it safely aside. Then close snap & try to reel it in. I've always gotten it back. At worst, you'll just lose a little line and a snap--but the lure is safely aboard. That was the first or two "OH NO"s that I got while training with Terry. It really is a $5-8 tip!!
I may get one of Jerry's neat knockers when he gets them finished. Will definitely pay for itself! Bill
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

I now have enough retrievers in stock to start excepting orders, thanks to all for your interest!
Jerry
jborst@joltmail.com