Vic Saunders

Steve Craig
800 series

Vic Saunders

Post by Steve Craig » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Just heard the Vic Saunders passed away last night.
RIP Vic.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!

Jerry Borst
800 series

Re: Vic Saunders

Post by Jerry Borst » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 am

Vic was a great friend and inspiration to many of us, he will surely be missed. Another Spoonplugging legend gone.

Vic Saunders-The wake will be at Smith Corcoran 1104 Waukegan Road Glenview, IL from 3 to 9 on Monday. The funeral will be on Tuesday at OLPH 1775 Grove St Glenview, IL

Steve Craig
800 series

Post by Steve Craig » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 am

Thank you Brian for posting a really nice tribute to Vic on the:
www.bigindianabass.com/structurecafe/ site!

It was great!
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!

John Bales
800 series

Post by John Bales » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes that was cool. Brian is a good writer and I enjoy browsing his web site. He has put a lot of effort into gathering information and sharing it to the mass.
Since Vick has been sick and passed , I have been talking a lot to Terry O'Malley. His next article in the National deals with what he feels are his most fun time of his life and that was the very beginning. What they needed to do to find the fishing spots took great effort and you would think that having all the new tools that are out there these days would make catching fish so much easier. It does if you have the same background and work ethic to gain the basic knowledge as they did. Its no wonder Buck wouldn't let them launch the boat unless they had good water color. We owe a lot to those first spoonpluggers. My first schools of big bass came about 5 years after Terry and Vick mapped out part of the Randall Chain and Palmer lake in Michigan. We were having trouble catching any big bass out of the Coldwater chain which is clear water. I sent Buck a letter asking for help and he sent me some maps Terry made. That experience was an eye opener. That happened in the early 70's. We didn't realize how important water color was until we had experienced it first hand. You can real all you want but some things we just don't understand till we go out and do it.
Denny Coulardot just called me and said he anchored and cast the bottom of a 26 foot hole and fancast a buddy and caught 24 bass from one anchoring position. Nothing giant and the water temp was 40. A cold blast around here could end our season any time but till it does, we still get out there. John