using google earth

site admin
Site Admin

using google earth

Post by site admin »

Pictures from Google earth at low water and high water.
I've caught many fish from these bars when the water was high.
Use the time lapse feature in Google Earth to find structures on reservoirs!
Attachments
shelbyville high water.jpg
shelbyville high water.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
shelbyville low water.jpg
shelbyville low water.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
ltharley
100 series

Re: using google earth

Post by ltharley »

To further this topic on historical lake information, I thought I would offer this. Last year I was searching for information on Lake Wisconsin, an impoundment of the Wisconsin River. I found some awesome information on the US Geological website. The website offers some really nice historical maps. For Lake Wisconsin, it has a map from 1908, prior to the building of the dam (I believe the dam was built in 1909 and the lake was created in 1913), and a map from 1959. Very interesting to see the area prior to the lake being created.

I shared these maps with Terry O'Malley and Mike Moran last year. Both had fished the lake quite a bit and both found the 1908 map intriguing. Moran sent me an email noting that he wanted to look for some of the structure situations that might exist that he was unaware of. We had planned a trip together to do just that, but unfortunately Mike's health never allowed us the opportunity.

I would encourage all to have a look. Maybe the lake you are fishing was mapped before it became a lake.

Here is the base website:

http://www.usgs.gov/

There is a section on historical maps. Look there. I believe you can search by state.

Attached are the mentioned maps.

Dennis
Attachments
WI_Baraboo_800239_1959_62500_geo.pdf
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 270 times
WI_Baraboo_801112_1908_62500_geo.pdf
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
DRH2O

Re: using google earth

Post by DRH2O »

Thanks for that link Dennis!

I had a look around and found a historical map of the small reservoir we like to camp at and that is on my target list. The reservoir is divided into an upper and lower section. The map shows the lower section before it was flooded consisting of just a creek channel and pool. WIN!

Also, to help stay on topic, I'd just like to point out that as I've been working on mapping the structures of my two local target lakes I've found Google Earth and even just the web-based Google Maps very helpful. It's so easy to just add a line representing the basic shape of the breakline on an actual map then return back to it to refine it little by little after each outing. My art skills are... well, I'm no Da Vinci, so doing it on the PC is WAY better. And I know the book says that you should take the time to map out the structures and keep perfecting them, so I just have a working contour map of each lake saved that I can access and tweak after every outing. Break lines, deep spots, weed patches, the online version even has little fish symbols available as markers :)

~Denny
Attachments
Current view
Current view
AlbiaResCurrent.JPG (69.2 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Historical map view
Historical map view
AlbiaResHistorical1.JPG (65.99 KiB) Viewed 3513 times