Navionics Lake of the week 3-16-13

site admin
Site Admin

Navionics Lake of the week 3-16-13

Post by site admin »

This is a familiar reservoir to a few of us..
This is a small section. Where would you fish in the colder months? Summer time? Where would Kenny Hyde anchor and cast?
Attachments
lake of the week 3-16-13.PNG
lake of the week 3-16-13.PNG (341.56 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Navionics Lake of the week 3-16-13

Post by Steve Craig »

Typical Flood Plain Reservoir.
Kenny and I fished this very section of this lake last June. So i know exactly where Kenny would anchor and cast. We caught several smaller bass along this section on Carolina Rigs
Just west and south of this section the river channel makes a big turn and on the inside of that turn I had found a huge finger that juts out far into the main channel. It breaks at around 45-47 feet or so into sixty feet of water. Later last year Kenny took a 7 1/2 pound bass on the contact point of that finger. It does not show up on this map, however, but does appear on the NavPlanner 2 Premium map. I believe he calls that little bar Steve Craig Bar to this day!
Also further up stream is a couple of other great spots that we took some nice fish off of.
I'll let others comment on where they would fish this section.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Intersetingly enough, the new lake record LM was caught on Saturday on this lake.

13.9 pounds!

Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

I was just down in this area 2 weeks ago but was there working...unforunately couldn't convince my wife to let me stay a day to try and fish it.

I'll take a crack at interpretting the lake...

Colder months the south creek channel drop off, steeper structure here. Assuming they would come as high as the delta ridges on a good movement.

Summer months the north creek drop off and delta ridges out from the sloughs and spawning bays.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

This is where I'd start
image.jpg
image.jpg (292.46 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Hey Bink, I love the way you think. Chicamauga is loaded with many great spots, but the area you picked is where many of Teresa and myself pictures have came from. Unfortunately, the map doesn’t show all the small details that can make a huge difference. The area that you have circled is where the nuclear plant is. There is two cooling tubes that spill out into the channel where you have your circle. Also in that area , along that upper channel breakline, there was an old construction area and pit, which created several fingers that drops into the river bed that makes for some great straight line trolling passes. Also in that area going across the river is a weir dam. Where you have your circle drawn, The dam where it connected to the river breakline was blown out on that corner, creating a nice hole . The tournament boy’s all know about this area, and when their pulling current , it’s hard to make a trolling pass without having company. This area has several good migration routes and contact points. The area where Teresa and I caught the nice stringers, the contact point where they gather is so small that if your 5 ft. either way, you miss. Your lure free swims the entire pass until it you reach the contact point. If you hit it perfect, your lure will bump hard twice, and if the fish are there, you will get a good one every pass, and if there not there, your lure will start to free swim again after the two hard bumps. I have set and watched bass boats cast that area for hours with no fish, only to pull away and us move in and catch a big one every pass. Sometimes when a contact point is pretty deep and so small, it’s hard to get the right depth and speed control casting….unless you are my good friend John Bales. P,S. I have a good friend that s a police officer that fishes all the CBA tournaments. Teresa and I ran into him at chilis the other day and he told us two weeks ago he had 34 lbs. in the saturday tournament and didn't win..wow. Maybe we should consider a pre spawn outing on Chicamauga next year..if you could find a hole. This lake is so hot, it has drawn huge national attention.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Man wish that was my homen lake!!! I picked the area by looking at the land. You can tell there is something different there just by looking at the shoreline.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

One of the coolest spots I fished. Very interesting. Bales got into a school there and at about 24 to him I actually landed 1. Very poor cold front conditions. I learned a lot that are foundation tools I use everywhere from Lake Erie to small ponds.

Kenny, are the big catches based on the explosion of hydrilla or has the weather just been that good?
Fran Myers
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Good morning Fran ..10 years ago they stocked 300.000 of the florida strain bass ..In years past .20 or so lbs put you in the running to win a tournament ..but not now ,especially in the pre spawn . They also quit spraying hydrilla about four years ago . The feeder creeks shallows and flats stay matted over, only the creek channel remains open. It makes it clear cut for the tournament boys.. These factors have blown it wide open . Some of the feeder creeks have adequate depth along with the hydrilla to keep the big boys in the area all the time. John stays on me about fishing these areas during the pre spawn in which he is exactly right. I guess my biggest excuse is that I need to set my boat up more to be able to cast, plus I hate bumping elbows with literally hundreds of boats. I was told yesterday by a great source that chicamauga is now the 13th top rated bass lake in the nation. I wouldn't doubt it. Any of you guys on the forum ever decide to come fish chicamauga, feel free to contact me and I will personally put you on the spots. All we have to do then is pray for good current and stable conditions.lol!!!

P.S. I spoke with waymon Couch this morning. He said that there was 18 bass 8lbs or better weighed in last week in one of the tournaments. He said the 44lb. and 37lb. stringer was caught in grasshopper creek which is about 5 or 6 miles north of the nuclear plant on the east side right where the river makes a sharp bend to the left, interesting!!!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I love reading that stuff. Thank you.
Fran Myers