Lake of the week

beckman44
700 series

Lake of the week

Post by beckman44 »

Here is an Ohio Lake to for us to study. Where are some of the key areas that we are going to target to get on the fish.
Attachments
GuilfordLake.pdf
(685.28 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Kevin McClure

Re: Lake of the week

Post by Kevin McClure »

There are others that have been doing this a lot longer than I have, but I'm going to take a stab at this and maybe others can critique me if I'm off on it. First off, I'll state the obvious. 1) This is a shallow lake. The deepest water in the lake is near the dam. That's pretty usual. If you look next to the dam, there are contour lines very close together suggesting a steeper break that goes out to 21ft. and then you may have a flat between there and the 24ft hole. I'd check out that 24 ft. hole. Also there might be good structure in the middle of the dam that seem to stretch out a little further/deeper. (Possible bar?) I'd check it out and see if the lake matches the map. 2) At the bottom right you have East Lake Rd. Their appears to be a sharp break that breaks into 18ft before maybe leading to 21ft.
This is where my inexperience comes up. This area and the dam are the deepest areas in the lake. If there isn't a bar leading out to the fish, and you just have a long, steep breakline with no features, would a fish still move that way. Don Dickson on his Mapping and Interpretation video said that if you have a bar with no known features, you would fish the side of the bar in relationship to the deepest water in the area. There may not be a bar, but there could be a feature that could give the fish a contact point. I think it would be wise to check both areas out.
3)There appears to be a hump or at least a shallow area that comes up to 6ft. smack dab in the middle of the lake, but it doesn't break very sharp and appears to take quite a while, (Flat?) before it gets to 9ft. then 12ft., up and to the right a little. I'd check it out.
As far as the coves, etc. I will let the more experienced guys give you advice on that.

Thanks for posting this. It's fun to look at other lakes to get a starting point on where to start your fishing if you were there.

I went to Google maps and clicked on satellite, and this lake has several points that could become productive bars. I'd check it out. I think the biggest fish in the lake will be down on the dam end, but I'd still check out these obvious potential spots, (Points/Bars, etc.) to see if they will produce.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I would look at where the main channel and feeder cuts come together.

About an inch and a half up from the dam, the main channel does a short abrupt turn. Either side of it looks like there are bars. Because there is a change in direction of the water it must be hard or something different there.

My spidey sense tells me that the color is probably murky so fish would probably be in the main channel to the 10' depths depending on weather. Probably very soft in the channel except for the edges and while the channel is shown, it might get kind of hard to find the channel the farther you get from the dam.

I think this would be a fun little lake.
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Thanks Bill for putting these on here.

If we follow Mr. Perry's guidelines, we are not to go any farther up stream than the winter draw down point, or, any farther than where we have less than 20 feet of water in the channel.
This will eliminate the upper half of this lake.
I would start at the bar in the top center with the hump on it. This is "fishing water". The 2 channels come together just below this area.
The channels are where we begin our interpretation.
The next spot for me would be where the channel hits the dam and there appears to be a structure(bar) next to it on the left corner of the dam.
All that dam is "trolling water" until the fish tell us different.
The little bump out short bar on the dam could be the old road used to make the dam, and could be important.
Looking at this lake on another map shows that the middle of the dam area on the right, might have a channel of its own here as there appears to be a swamp area below this part of the dam. In which case the bar on the north side of the east dam could become important.
Our trolling will show us this area pretty quick.
I dont see any weed areas listed on either map, so this will show that we will probably have good water color.
There is a lake in west central Indiana that is very similar to this one and it is loaded with huge bass.
Thsi one could be a very good lake.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

What is a "Fish Attractor?" Is this similar to putting rocks or gravel on the bottom?
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Kevin,
They can be just about anything. A pile of Christmas trees, brush piled up, out here they actually make trees, brush, and other stuff like this out of plastic that doesnt deteriorate.
I hate them!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Around here they like to put out fish cribs. They consist of wood pallets bound together with concrete bricks. They are breaks at best, usually not even on good structure. People snag on them and anchors get caught on them which eventually breaks them up. A royal pain in the backside. Some people think that the fish need things dumped in the lake to help them. I think the fish already figured out their own routes long before they dumped these things in the lake. Not having knowledge can be dangerous. "They don't know what they don"t know." Bill.