Lake of the Week

beckman44
700 series

Lake of the Week

Post by beckman44 »

This weeks lake is a 6000 acre reservoir. It has big Muskie,Walleye, Pike, and Catfish. Lets say it is summer and we want to catch big Muskies. The lake has pretty good water color. Lets figure out where to get these toothy critters.
Attachments
wissota.pdf
(3.55 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
brett
100 series

Re: Lake of the Week

Post by brett »

Bill,

I will take the big bend in the river in the top right of the map along the feeder creek. I'll work main channel cuts in this area and then work my way into the feeder creek to fish the north facing point. It's a lot of area for just one guy but I'll call Jerry Borst and just follow behind him. He'll probably want the base breakline so I'll take the drop off. You can have the area by the dam, especially the points on both the north and south shoreline. We'll let Duplex have the bridge on Hwy X and the surrounding structure. That way he's close the launch site at The View. Since it's summer and he's not used to catching big muskies until fall, he can stop by the View and pick up some worms if things are slow. Bales will outsmart us and work the two bridges in the NW corner of the lake. He will find fish on both the north and south shores on either side of the hump and catch some. At lunch we will reconcile everything we learned and then listen to wisdom from John, Jerry, and Jim. Look forward to it.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I like this one...

I'd stick to the main channel. There are some 50 and 60' holes. I would work around the holes but I would also work the deepwater humps where the tops are 45'.

If that didn't produce I'd cross cross the main channel where the deepwater was greater than 30'.
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

I spent 2 1/2 days on this lake last July. No weeds, brownish water with heavy bloom the first day, then a front went through and the bloom disappeared. 95% sand bottom on the main lake, the only hard bottom I found was by the dam and the old road/dike.
The best spot I found was on the northside where the river crosses and goes under the bridge.there was a finger on the very tip of the bar that broke all the way into the channel. I hooked a very good fish right where he should have been but lost it before it got a look. If I had to catch a big muskie I would spend ALL my time here.
The best fishing I found was on Little wissota just in front of the launch at the View , it had a great bar that held Pike and Walleye. The locals refused to fish the main lake and all flocked to little wiss every morning/night. The north shore of little wiss had a number of great looking bars that led to to the deepest water in the lake and all held fish.

"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Good looking lake.
I would start on the south end at the Causeway(Fishing Water). Always a good starting place on a strange lake for sure. Next, if I found good color as Bink says this lake has, then I would head right for the Dam and fish those 2 bars on the north end of the dam area. the Southern one has a really nice sharper break at both 20 and 30 feet right into the deepest water in the lake.Fishing Water
The bar to the north is very ridgelike and needs to be checked out for sure, but My GUESS is the south one is best and probably will hold the biggest fish.
Binks roadbed is probably a dead end up on that big flat. However, if there is a feeder cut running up to it, then it may get alot better fast. It appears that there is one cutting it right in half. Fishing Water at that spot.
Where the big feeder meets the main channel , there is a nice looking bar right there too. Again..Fishing Water.
The 2 Causeways on the north end need to be checked out for sure. And just downstream from them is a nice big hump in the middle of the channel that could be a bonanza under the right conditions.
All in all I like the looks of this lake. But I am partial to Reservoirs anyway! :mrgreen:
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

To not to be influenced by the earlier posts, I won't read them until my $0.02 is posted. So, looking at the overall map:
  • Search in Google for Lake Wissota locates the lake in the ceded territory of northern WI, but motor trolling is permitted on this lake.
  • Four boat launches.
  • The distance from the causeway on the north end to the causeway on the south end is about 3-1/2 miles, the distance across the lake is about 2 miles to where feeder creek comes in by the Lake Wissota State Park.
  • The main breakline along the river channel ranges from 35' to 40', the bottom breakline ranges from 45' to 50'.
  • The bottom is mostly sand, but gravel in the bottom of the river channel.
  • Lots of fish cribs and rock reefs.
Here's what I'd do depending on where I put in.

Chippewa County Landing. I'd work the rip rap on the way out to the river channel(something might get in the way on the way out), the rip rap under both causeways on the north side and the CR S causeway on the south side but not spend too much time on 'em. Then the top and bottom breaklines on both the north and south sides of the river channel looking for fingers. On the south side about 1/4 mile from the CR S causeway is a bar with hump a hump that tops at 20'(according to the map). That looks interesting. Check the 35' breakline with fingers going E from the bar; it leads from the 45' section. The rest of the south side of the channel is trolling water down to the 40' hump south of where the creek channel comes in from Lake Wissota State Park.

The SE side of the 25' hump would get checked and the bar with the fingers to the NE of the hump. About 3/4 of a mile from the CR S causeway is another bar that breaks into 45'. The rest of the north side is trolling water until you get to the hump near the creek channel coming in by Lake Wissota State Park.

The View Landing or the Town of Lafayette Landing. Check the rip rap under the CR X causeway; both sides, but don't spend a lot of time here.

Check the top and bottom breaklines from SE around to the E side of the island. Check the 30' hump on the south side, especially the north tip where it breaks sharply into 40' by the little cut. Note that most of the deeper water in that area appears to be silt. Further along on the south side there are a couple of bars that break into 40'. It's trolling water beyond that until you get to bend where the channel turns NW. Opposite that is a hump that tops out at 35'. Beyond that it's trolling water up to the dam. In that area are a number of humps that top out at 40', and the bar and 40' hump just north of the dam looks interesting.

After that I'd check out the margaritas at the Wissota View! Care to join me?
The Fisherman

Post by The Fisherman »

To agree with Steve, I would begin at the southern end. I just have a itch to troll the perimeter of that island on the deeper side. Looks to have a very steep desent and would probably include some nice cuts and wash's.

Cant say anymore about Steves interpretation, as long as you are speaking of the points that are on the western shore at the river not the eastern shore on the other side of the flat...lol..joking Steve:) If I only had a day then I would move north working the top of the main channel breakline where possible. If not possible then I would "drag lures" on my movement north. If any contact was made I would search out from there. I would stop and spend a lot of time at the intersection with the main river and the big feeder creek then move to the bend. Brett nailed that on the head and I would certainly spend the majority of whatever time I had left there. If still nothing I would turn to the causeway and associated bar that Bink pointed out and finish my day there.

I definatly like this one. I have been out of the loop for a while now and this is my favorite so far. Sure would like to see the water color or get a reading on what it is in terms of inches with a white 800?

Thanks guys for the posts they are as good as ever if not better.

Josh